DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
In Our Own Voice Presenter (VIRTUAL!!)
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
***PLEASE NOTE: WHILE THIS IS A VIRTUAL OPPORTUNITY DUE TO COVID, APPLICANTS MUST LIVE IN THE CUYAHOGA COUNTY, OHIO
NAMI In Our Own Voice (IOOV) is a unique public education program in which two individuals talk openly about living with a mental health condition. These types of presentations include personal accounts of mental illness (such as IOOV) are imperative to changing attitudes, assumptions, and stereotypes about individuals who have a mental health diagnosis. As an IOOV presenter, you will have opportunities to speak students, peer groups, health care providers, and various community organizations. IOOV presenters also receive a stipend for speaking engagements.
Develop your public speaking skills and share your personal experience of recovery from mental illness to decrease stigma and increase public awareness about mental illness. IOOV is a structured outreach presentation with which you can become a role model for hope and recovery for other mental health peers in the community. The presentation puts a human face to mental illness and is used to provide insight into the peer experience of recovery for mental health professionals, students, and family members.
Minimum Requirements for Volunteer IOOV Presenter
- Must be an individual who is living with a mental health condition and identifies themselves in recovery.
- Individuals must be comfortable talking in front of various audiences and willing to share aspects of their personal experience of living with mental illness.
- Willingness to maintain fidelity of the NAMI In Our Own Voice model.
- Allow audience members to connect on a personal level via question and answer sessions
- Provide an opportunity for audience members to gain insight into the lived experience of life with mental illness
- Willing to become a member of NAMI
Desired Abilities, Skills, and Experiences
- Be at a point with your recovery to have the time and ability to commit to one year volunteer role and bring your full attention and compassion to the presentation
- Be comfortable speaking in front of a variety of audience, including those who may know you
About National Alliance on Mental Illness- Greater Cleveland
2012 West 25th Street, Suite 705, Cleveland, OH 44113, US
NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Greater Cleveland is dedicated to empowering those living with mental illness and their family members to achieve a better quality of life by providing education, support, information, and referrals.
NAMI Greater Cleveland provides services to those with serious mental illnesses and their family members through a variety of support and education programs. In addition, we advocate on behalf of our members and the community on issues related to mental illness. Program highlights include:
- Support Groups: 16 groups providing mutual support averaging 2,500 visits per year;
- Helpline: providing information and referral to over 1,485 callers per year;
- Educational Courses: free classes, including NAMI’s signature Family to Family course, reaching over 75 participants per year;
- Outreach: providing information about mental illness via our Community Education Nights, Speakers Bureau and Health Fairs to more than 1,100 people per year;
- Multi-Cultural Outreach: providing specialized services to the African-American and Hispanic communities, including Spanish-language courses and materials.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 8, 2021
- Mental Health
- Community Outreach
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- This opportunity is occurring through Zoom right now, but will resume in person settings once NAMI returns to the office after the pandemic.