Seeking Board Members for Palestinian Aid and Advocacy Organization
We have an opening for an insightful, strategic professional to join our board of directors. Does this sound like you?
Our board of directors, all volunteers, are the fiduciaries who hold the trust of our donors by steering Rebuilding Alliance towards a sustainable future through sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management, as well as by making sure our nonprofit has adequate resources to advance our mission.
Rebuilding Alliance, a 501(c)3 nonprofit based in Redwood City, CA, is dedicated to advancing equal rights and opportunity for the Palestinian people through education, advocacy, and support that assures Palestinian families the right to a home, schooling, economic security, safety, and a promising future. Our vision is to realize a just and enduring peace in Palestine and Israel founded upon equal rights, equal security, and equal opportunity for all.
Virtual board meetings will take place monthly. Each board member serves for a three year term with the ability to renew for a second three year term. Board members spend at least five hours a month volunteering to serve our organization as needed and support the organization financially as able through cash or equity donations.
To be successful in this role, it helps to have had previous experience working on a non-profit board with experience in non-profit financial management and/or experience in small business or nonprofit management. A keen interest in international affairs is a plus.
If you would like to apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to email@example.com
Our Vision and Values:
Dedicated to rebuilding war-torn communities and bringing the world together to make them safe. Our vision: a just and enduring peace in Israel and Palestine founded upon equal rights, security, and opportunity for all. We rebuild homes, schools, and communities in a holistic approach that builds peace, combining community-directed rebuilding with grassroots and diplomatic advocacy that connects peacemakers with constituents and policy makers worldwide who will intervene to safeguard threatened communities.
- Mrs. Najah’s Kitchen- emergency hot food program in Gaza
- Jerusalem Legal Aid Fund- a fund to assist Palestinians in contesting demolitions and evictions in court
- Advocacy for the Sumarin Family- contacting Congress to ask them to intervene in the eviction of the Sumarin family from their East Jerusalem home. The Sumarins recently won the right to take their case to Israel’s Supreme Court.
- Palestine, We Care: COVID-19 Relief Trust - PPE and medical supplies for Gaza hospitals and hygiene kits for families
- Gardens, Goats, and More- small-scale agriculture and animal husbandry for families to have an extra source of food and income
- PKU Children in Palestine- Eases the burden of children with PKU, a disease that causes the body to be unable to be metabolize protein, through the purchase of protein-free food and specialized training for local doctors
- Gaza Emergency Relief Fund- direct aid to Gaza’s poorest and focused on one family at a time
Experience and knowledge Sought:
- Public Relations / Marketing / Social Media
- Event Planning
- Project Management
- Construction Financing / Banking / Loan Management
- Diplomatic and Foreign Service
- Donor Network Development, Grant writing
Qualities and expectations of the Ideal Candidate would include:
- Interest and willingness to learn about the issues being addressed by Rebuilding Alliance
- Commitment to advancing and advocating for the success of Rebuilding Alliance’s goals and mission using their skills and expertise
- Regular attendance of monthly Board Meetings (2-3hrs) plus 10hrs/month
- Affinity for cultivating collaborative relationships
- Willingness to chip in and help where needed to support needs of the organization including fundraising
- Give/Get Policy: every board member must give a meaningful donation to the best of your ability AND help to procure financial resources.
Candidates Review Process:
Please submit a cover letter expressing reason for interest in board service along with your resume, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attend Board Meetings, virtually or in person
Interview with Executive Director and the Chair, before interviewing with the whole Board
About Rebuilding Alliance
50 Woodside Plaza Ste. 627, Redwood City, CA 94061, US
Rebuilding Alliance is dedicated to advancing equal rights for the Palestinian people through education, advocacy, and support that assures Palestinian families the right to a home, schooling, economic security, safety, and a promising future.
We learned early-on that to build in war-torn communities one must partner locally with non-governmental organizations that hold the trust of the local community and maintain the highest standards of fiscal and personal integrity.
Everyone who works at Rebuilding Alliance is committed to building peace and justice through programs that make a tangible difference and together, we do our best to make RA a great place to work. Many who have joined RA as interns or in entry-level jobs have gone on to their dream-job or pursued advanced degrees.
One of our past interns wrote the following:
"I always talk about interning with Rebuilding Alliance as one of my most important, challenging and formative work experiences, especially when I'm in interviews. You asked and expected big things of me right away, and I'm so grateful for that - coordinating a teleconference series, making phone calls to important peacekeepers, offering insights in team meetings, updating our internet presence. These are skills that I value so highly, and that I'm sure will be so important as I enter this industry that is entirely new to me. I would also like to stay in touch with you and Rebuilding Alliance and help in any way I can in the coming years, whether through donations or volunteering my time when I'm back in the Bay Area."