HR Recruiter (Volunteer)
*Note: The following is an opportunity for volunteer, part-time, flexible work. Please DO NOT APPLY if you are only looking for paid employment.* This is a work at home position. Minimum 6 months commitment required.
Are you interested in learning the ins and outs of a nonprofit organization in a challenging, rewarding environment? The nonprofit news organization WhoWhatWhy is seeking a Talent Recruiter - HR (volunteer) to help us lead our efforts in hiring world-class talent.
We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual with a keen eye for talent and up-to-date on industry innovations. You will play an instrumental role in our ability to scale our organization, from volunteer pipeline generation to closing candidates, you will own the entire recruitment process and candidate experience.
In addition to doing groundbreaking work, this role will be pivotal in establishing a culture of openness, positive communication, and continuous learning.
Who We Are
WhoWhatWhy is a news organization and community providing the public with high-quality investigative and analytical forensic journalism on the great issues facing humankind. A nonprofit that accepts no advertising, we are staffed largely with skilled volunteers dedicated to elevating public awareness and fostering a more vigorous democracy.
You will work remotely and on your own schedule as we believe remote work is essential to cultivate a productive and happy culture. We also require a minimum commitment of 10-15 hours a week (Though doing more is not discouraged!). Because our staff is spread throughout the world, we communicate mostly through Slack and email, and team members are requested to be highly responsive in a timely manner. All staff is required to respond to emails on a daily basis.
Please send us a resume and carefully reasoned, a customized cover letter that outlines your experience, skillset, and explaining why you're a good fit for this position. If there is no option to attach a cover letter, please send cover letters to email@example.com. Our mission must resonate deeply with you. We will not review applications that appear to be mass submissions. You must confirm your understanding that this is a volunteer position.
- The ability to effectively recruit qualified candidates for HR Department openings. This includes using new and creative recruiting methods, sources, advertising, and events, to ensure a qualified and diverse candidate pool
- Knowledge of recruitment processes, creative/strategic talent sourcing techniques, resume evaluation, candidate assessment, interview techniques, and matching position to the best candidate
- Strong understanding of HR recruiting-related metrics and reporting
- Exceptional communication skills, time management, and attention to detail are key attributes in this role
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or related field
- 2+ years of relevant working experience
- Ability to quickly build relationships with hiring managers, colleagues, and candidates, to meet hiring objectives.
- PHR/SHRM-CP certification preferred but not required
- Prior experience working with ATS and HRIS
- Partner with leaders and HR team to understand both current and future organization needs
- Own and manage the entire recruitment process
- Consistently add to the candidate pipeline, updating ATS on a daily basis
- Draft/create job descriptions, analyze resumes, and determine appropriate matches for vacancies
- Identify creative sourcing techniques and strategies to find, connect with, and recruit top talent.
- Focus on results, ability to drive the recruiting process, and provide responsive follow-up to both candidates and hiring teams
- Implement creative employee relations programs to retain talent, maintain morale throughout their assignments, and promote candidate referrals
- Partner with the business to understand our current market position and work to continuously build on our presence and brand with target demographics
- Contribute to Talent Acquisition’s effort of redefining recruitment processes of employer branding, revamping job descriptions, and the candidate experience
- Monitor key recruitment metrics and interpret data for strategic recruiting
- Work in an exciting, up-and-coming organization in a crucial and societally relevant field
- Interact with people at all levels
- Learn the nuts and bolts of nonprofit operations
- Collaborate with smart, accomplished coworkers
- Have fun and make a difference
PO BOX 1103, NEW YORK, NY 10276, US
WhoWhatWhy is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news organization aiming to discover and share the truth about matters affecting us all. We launched with the idea that the public deserves courageous and thorough investigations into powerful institutions, entities and individuals that shape our world. We pride ourselves on having no sacred cows, and covering stories that no one else will touch. At WhoWhatWhy, we believe that quality information changes minds--and that when you change minds, you change everything.
WhoWhatWhy embodies a form of investigative reporting that is rigorous, relentless, and scientific - we call it forensic journalism.
We take on controversial topics others will not touch and dig deep to uncover and name the institutions and persons shaping our world. Our organization is neither partisan nor ideological and only provides accounts based on extensive research and thorough sourcing.
In addition to producing rigorous investigative reporting, we seek to further the long-term survival and betterment of the news industry as a whole.