COVID-19 Volunteer Opportunities with Harris County Public Health
Harris County Medical Reserve Corps (MRC)
A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
13 people are interested
Point of Contact: MRC@phs.hctx.net -Please send us an email if you are interested in more information on how to sign up to volunteer with Harris County Public Health Medical Reserve Corps at COVID-19 Specimen Collection/Test Kit Making sites.
Times: Arrive at 5:30am and shifts end around 2:30pm
- Requisition and Registration - tasked with registering and printing out requisition forms for citizens
- Runner - Verifying and placing completed requisition forms on outgoing cars
- Traffic Control - Direct traffic coming in and out of Stations
- Logistics - Maintaining and suppling all stations and amenities on site
- Bag Assemblers - Fold pamphlets and insert into bags for use in stations
- Testing Kit Makers - Help make Test Kits
- Tester - Instruct citizens on how to test and collect sample for testing
- Medical Runner - Assists the tester in collecting the sample and ensure all information is correct with Quality Control
- Quality Control - Assuring all requisition forms are correct and with the correct sample
Meals: Lunch is provided (If vegetarian or have food needs please make note in comments)
Dress code: Comfortable clothes or scrubs (nothing unprofessional please), closed toed shoes, full pants (no shorts) and be prepared for changing weather/rain. Wear comfortable shoes you will be on your feet a long time.
Photos: No photos please
You will be outside and standing during your assigned shift. Wear comfortable shoes.
All CDC recommended personal protective equipment and safety measures will be in place each time you work. (hot, warm, and cold zones set up).
Wash your hands often - Handwashing / sanitizers are in place.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Cover your cough or sneeze.
Practice social distancing as much as possible.
Stay hydrated - Drink water frequently and wear sunscreen.
Safety staff on site - please follow their requests and if you have any questions or concerns ask them or your site supervisor.
Do not leave without signing out with your site supervisor.
If you would like to volunteer during the COVID-19 response in the Houston/Harris County area please sign up here:
- Register as an MRC volunteer - Click on link https://www.texasdisastervolunteerregistry.org/
- Click on "Register Now" button on the right side of the screen
- The very first thing on the application page is "Organizations" - click "Add Organization"
- A screen will pop up search for "Harris County Organizations"
- Click on the "+" plus sign which drops down all organizations within Harris County.
- Check mark the option "Harris County Medical Reserve Corps" then click on the "select" button
- The box will go away for you to then finish the application.
- Fill out the volunteer application: https://hcph.vsyslive.com/pages/app:EVENT
- The user ID is your email address and you come up with the password.
- For volunteer preferences choose "COVID19 Volunteer"
- For Availability section, skip it - not relevant
- Don’t forget to please click agree with the last form for MRC volunteers only - Release / Indemnification form (you are now an MRC volunteer)
About Harris County Medical Reserve Corps (MRC)
2223 West Loop South, Suite 735, Houston, TX 77027, US
The mission of the Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) is to engage volunteers to strengthen public health, emergency response, and community resiliency.
Who can join a Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) unit?
Community members, with or without medical training, who are willing to support public health on a daily basis or during public health emergencies are encouraged to join. This includes professionals from all of the health occupations. MRC units have non-medical volunteers who provide education, logistics, communication, coordination and other support.