Deployment opportunities available to help in a hurricane response.
AMERICAN NATIONAL RED CROSS
Experts predict above-normal hurricane season; season runs June-November.
Expectations 13-19 named storms, 6-10 hurricanes, and 3-6 major hurricanes. The Shelter Service Associates is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter.
SHELTER SERVICE ASSOCIATES
- Work in person at a Red Cross mass care shelter before, during and/or after a disaster
- Support day-to-day activities in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information collection, etc.
- Provide compassionate customer service while observing all safety protocols in a COVID environment
- Must be 18 (+)
- Ability to build effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Physical ability to stand and/or walk for extended periods, including climbing stairs and can lift/transport supplies up to 20 pounds multiple times per shift
- Completion of volunteer application (including background checks) and self-paced online training
- Immediate availability to leave within 24 hours
- 14-day deployment
- Red Cross covers flights and expense of one checked bag; must be able to carry everything you pack!
- Provided Mission Card (personal charge card) to cover approved expenses
- Deployment arrival: "in process" with Staff Services
- Lodging: No roommates (practicing social distancing) but expect to change rooms often and/or stay at shelter
- Focus on client; be kind, flexible, and proactive; offer and ask for help; take care of yourself and each other
- ALWAYS represent Red Cross professionally
How to get started
- Complete the online application at redcross.org/volunteer
- Questions?? Email: email@example.com
- Click this link to register to learn more: https://bit.ly/HurricaneDeploy
About AMERICAN NATIONAL RED CROSS
431 18TH ST NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20006, US
Mission: The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Vision: The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that... ...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope; ...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters; ...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products; ...all members of our armed forces and their families find support and comfort whenever needed, and ...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.