Online High School Tutor
International Rescue Committee in San Diego
SCOPE OF WORK: Tutors meet with high school students located in San Diego, CA via Zoom breakout rooms to work through school assignments and provide strategies for students to develop their skills. Tutors provide a positive, encouraging, safe environment for students to utilize their skills and understand their assignments. Tutoring will be completely remote and online for the Fall 2020 semester. Tutoring may shift back to in-person services when safe to do so.
- Tutor training provided, including training for technology utilized
- Ongoing feedback and growth opportunities given
- Connect with other tutors, students, and IRC Staff
- Tutors guide students in utilizing their skills to understand and work on homework assignments in various high school or college subjects, including but not limited to: English, math, literature, history, science etc.
- Tutors are paired with students based on their subject strengths
- Tutors provide students with strategies in completing homework and time-management
- Tutors create a positive, encouraging, safe environment for students to learn and develop their skills
- Tutors are flexible, patient, and willing to troubleshoot any technological or academic challenges
- Tutors communicate with IRC Staff regarding any issues or availability changes
TIME REQUIREMENTS: Tutoring is conducted Monday-Thursday from 3-5 PM (subject to change). Tutors may choose their schedule within these times, with a minimum weekly requirement of 2 hours per week. A commitment of at least 3 months is required.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Familiarity with one or more common high school or college subjects
- Personable and comfortable communicating with English language learners
- Experience tutoring or working in a diverse and inclusive academic or professional setting
- Access to laptop, computer, or other device suitable for tutoring with access to Zoom and wi-fi connection
- Familiarity with technology and Zoom preferred
- Experience working with or tutoring high school or college age youth preferred
- Experience working with English language learners preferred
- Background check clearance, including LiveScan fingerprinting background check (Must be in California for LiveScan background check)
To apply to this position, please fill out an IRC Volunteer Application here: https://rescueglobal.secure.force.com/volunteer/ and indicate that you are applying to the San Diego office and which position you are applying for. If we would like to move forward with your application, we will reach out to schedule an interview.
About International Rescue Committee in San Diego
5348 University Avenue, San Diego, CA 92105, US
Mission Statement: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps families uprooted by crisis survive and rebuild their lives.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.