SCHENECTADY GREENMARKET INC
The Schenectady Greenmarket is looking for volunteers to help us continue providing local food safely to our community during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have a variety of different volunteer needs and you can help out one Sunday or several Sundays if you're available! Please see more info below.
Volunteer Assignments (morning and afternoon shifts):
Cashier 9:45-11:30 am, 11:30-2:15 pm
- Run credit cards and EBT cards for individuals who wish to purchase tokens from the market to buy food from vendors.
- Remember to give $2 coupons for every $5 spent on EBT card.
- ALL bags are sold for cash only, no credit or EBT.
- Market bags are for sale for $7. Discounted to $5 for EBT customers.
- Remind customers to wear their masks correctly if they are not doing so. If they refuse, please do not sell them tokens until they wear the mask correctly. If they don’t have a mask, give them one.
Assistant Manager 8:00-11:30 am, 11:30-3pm
- Assist with setup or teardown, depending on shift.
- Monitor main entrance to market, count incoming customers. If market becomes too crowded, ask customers to wait (socially distanced).
- Help customers find vendors and follow traffic patterns.
- Assist Market Manager with token collection and check distribution during the last half hour of market.
- Help with reminding customers of safety protocols and making sure that clean pens are always available for customers to complete contact (name and phone number) forms.
Health Checkers at Market Entrance 9:45-11:30 am,11:30-2pm
- Monitor customers entering Proctors. Ask customers to wait (socially distanced) if there is a line. If they don’t have a mask, give them one.
- Ask customers entering to acknowledge they can successfully answer market health questions that will be displayed on posters at the entries, and take their temperature as they enter the market.
- If they are cleared (temp less than 100.4), they can proceed through the entry. If they fail, have them step aside, recheck their temperature after a few minutes, and if they fail again, inform them that they are not allowed to enter the market space and must leave.
Sign in Table in Arcade 9:45-11:30 am,11:30-2pm
- As per Proctors’ requirements, have customers write contact (name and phone number) on provided sign in sheet.
- They must provide this information or they will not be allowed to stay at market. Ask customers to wait (socially distanced) if there is a line.
Traffic Monitors AM 9:30-11:30 am,11:30-2pm
- Keep an eye on customer traffic in Market. Help customers find vendors and follow traffic patterns.
- Let Manager or Assistant Manager know if an area of the market is getting too crowded.
- Make sure shoppers are following market rules.
Setup 8-9:30 am, Teardown 1:30-3 pm
- Setup - Get market ready for vendors and customers. Set up market tables and signs, sanitizer stations, etc.
- Teardown - Cleanup after market, help vendors in GE theater load out, put market equipment away.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About SCHENECTADY GREENMARKET INC
PO BOX 954, SCHENECTADY, NY 12301, US
We are a community of vendors, shoppers, musicians and friends. Our mission is to build a future in which Schenectady Greenmarket is an integral part of downtown’s cultural landscape, connecting farm and city to create a responsible, sustainable food system.
Since 2008, Schenectady Greenmarket has been a place to buy fresh local produce and artisan goods in a festive community atmosphere. The market includes over 60 diverse vendors and offers our shoppers the best of local produce, prepared foods, and crafts.