Shelter Service Associate & Supervisor- American Red Cross- Birmingham area
American Red Cross - Alabama Mississippi Region
The Shelter Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event. Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and provide assistance for disaster clients. Shelter Service Associates support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter.
Supervisors direct a team of assigned workers, providing guidance and support. Both positions require ability to build effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents.
· Following worker safety procedures for working in a COVID environment
· Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross in their work with clients, disaster responders and partners
· Providing excellent client service and support the daily maintenance of the shelter operation at the direction of the assigned Shelter Supervisor
· Using the Shift Tool during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shifts
· Speak clearly on phone and in person.
· Work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
· Drive in daytime and at night
· 18 years of age or older
· Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID -19 disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event
· Availability to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 4, 8 or 12 hours long)
. Physical ability to stand and/or walk for extended periods, including climbing stairs and can lift/transport supplies up to 20 pounds multiple times per shift.
· Willing to complete 3 hours of virtual self-paced training
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the American Red Cross!
About American Red Cross - Alabama Mississippi Region
700 Caldwell Trace, Birmingham, AL 35242, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether itﾒs one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.