COVID-19 Shelter Service Associate
American Red Cross of Southeastern PA
Shelter Service Associate is a temporary position where volunteers are assigned to work in person, in a shelter before, during, and/or after a disaster event this Hurricane / Wildfire season.
Shelter Service Associate completes tasks necessary for shelter operations and provide assistance for disabled clients.
Shelter Service Associates support the day to day activiti8eswithin a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information or other areas within a shelter.
- Following worker safety procedures for working in a COVID-19 environment
- Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross in their work with clients, disaster responders, and partners.
- Providing excellent client service and support daily maintenance of the shelter operations at the direction of the shelter supervisor.
- Using the Shift Tool during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shift.
- Completing the required virtual self-training(3hours of training total).
- Ability to build appropiate and effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents
- Ability to support and correct performance,manage conflicts, and ask for help early on so that work flow and service delivery does not impact shelter residents or community.
- Demonstrates clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication.
- Lift/carry 20 pounds multiple times per shift.
- Stand and/ or sit for 2 hour periods and walk for 2 miles per shift.
- Walk on uneven terrain.
- Work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/ or humidity, and/ or cold.
- Climb 2 or more flights of stairs.
- Work for long periods on a computer and/ or reading small print and/ or writing.
- Drive in the daytime and at night.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID-19 disaster shelter before, during, and after a disaster event.
- Availability to sign up on consecutive days ( shifts may be 4, 8, or 12 hours long).
- Willing to perform 3 hours of virtual self-paced training required for the position.
About American Red Cross of Southeastern PA
2221 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the POWER OF VOLUNTEERS and the generosity of donors.
The American Red Cross offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities -- including:
Over 90% of what we do is done and led by amazing Red Cross Volunteers! Join our team. Meet new friends. Learn new skills. Help where and when it is needed most. All based on your interests and availability.
- Biomedical/Blood Services as an Screener, Ambassador or Driver
- Disaster Cycle Services as a Responder (locally and/or nationally) or Recovery Caseworker
- Emergency Preparedness as a Smoke Alarm Installer or Youth Educator
- Community Outreach
- Volunteer Services
- Service to the Armed Forces