Help During a National Disaster - Shelter Service Associate
Be ready to help your local community! Due to predictions for an active hurricane and wildfire season and the complexities of COVID-19, the Red Cross will need thousands of volunteers to care for people when disasters strike. Train now so you can answer the call when your community needs it most!
- Purpose The Shelter Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event. Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and provide assistance for disaster clients. Shelter Service Associates support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter.
- Following worker safety procedures for working in a COVID environment
- Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross in their work with clients, disaster responders and partners
- Providing excellent client service and support the daily maintenance of the shelter operation at the direction of the assigned Shelter Supervisor
- Using the Shift Tool during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shifts
- Completing the required virtual self-paced training
- Time Commitment Deploy for a minimum of 14 days working 8 or 12 hour shifts
- Ability to build appropriate and effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents.
- Ability to support and correct performance, manage conflict and ask for help early on so that workflow and service delivery does not impact shelter residents or the shelter community.
- Demonstrates clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication.
- Lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift.
- Stand and or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift.
- Walk on uneven terrain.
- Work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
- Climb two or more flights of stairs.
- Speak clearly on phone and in person.
- Work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
- Drive in daytime and at night
- Willing to complete required virtual self-paced training
About American Red Cross - Northeast Ohio Region
3747 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44115, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether itﾒs one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
125 Fair StreetFindlay, OH 45840
September 15, 2021
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 weeks