Help During a National Disaster - COVID-19 Disaster Health Services Service Associate
American Red Cross - Northeast Ohio Region
Be ready to help your local community! Due to predictions for an active hurricane and wildfire season and the complexities of COVID-19, the Red Cross will need thousands of volunteers to care for people when disasters strike. Train now so you can answer the call when your community needs it most!
- Purpose Disaster Health Services Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person before, during and/or after a disaster event this hurricane/wildfire season. Volunteers in this role provide assistance and healthcare to shelter residents as needed.
- Provide hands on care for shelter clients to include but not limited to assistance with activities of daily living, wound care, incontinence care, assistance with functional needs.
- Provide health education, health assessments and determination if a higher level of care is needed.
- Assist clients to replace medications, durable medical equipment or consumable medical supplies.
- Advocate for client needs with Disaster Health Services supervisor.
- Support maternal and child needs as necessary.
- Complete required virtual self-paced training required for the position
- Time Commitment Deploy for a minimum of 14 days working 8- or 12-hour shifts
- A current, unencumbered license in at least one of the following professions:
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)*
- Medical Doctor (MD)
- Doctor of Osteopathy (DO)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID -19 disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event
- Willing to complete 4 hours of virtual self-paced training required for position
About American Red Cross - Northeast Ohio Region
3747 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44115, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether itﾒs one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.