About the opportunity
Why the charity want you
If you’re a fun and friendly person who likes to socialise you could be a perfect Activity Assistant. They’re looking for outgoing people who can encourage others to join in and don’t mind looking a bit daft doing so. (There will be crazy costumes and glitter somewhere along the line!) Some Activity Assistants run their own sessions, for example a book club. They’ll support you if you have an idea but they’re also equally happy for another pair of enthusiastic hands.
What you will be doing
Having lots of fun!
Helping the Activities Co-ordinator to set up for and tidy up after activities
Helping the Activities Co-ordinator to record the activities and who has taken part
Joining in and encouraging people to take part
Talking to people about the activity to get their views on things they’d like to try
Possibly leading small groups or supporting one to one activities
What's in it for you
Full Induction including Dementia Friends Session
Role Specific Training
They offer references for volunteers
They reimburse out of pocket expenses
The awesome feeling of making people smile
Experience in a care setting for your CV
About The Orders of St John Care Trust
The Orders of St John Care Trust homes specialise in the provision of long term care - residential, nursing or for those suffering from dementia. They also provide day care facilities, intermediate, rehabilitation and respite care. All services are provided for older people of any background, irrespective of race or religion, according the highest standard of quality care.
* To deliver individual high quality care in an unobtrusive way respecting privacy and dignity
* To provide a homely environment in which residents feel comfortable and free to entertain their family and friends
* To consult with residents and fully involve them in decisions about their care, their lifestyle and their home
* To ensure that the residents and day care visitors enjoy a fulfilling life in an atmosphere of warmth and understanding
* To provide care services that are resident led and reflect diverse cultural values
* To train employees in order to enable personal development and achievement of individual potential and ensure delivery of the highest standards of care
What are they looking for?
The skills you need
You'll be a people person who enjoys the company of older people
You'll be willing to get stuck in and try a new activity
You'll be self-motivated and willing to work independently at times
You'll be able to encourage others to try and include people who might be shy
You'll be good at reading people, picking up signs if someone isn’t themselves
You'll have a sense of fun and be game for a laugh
Induction and training will be provided, expenses will be reimbursed. Working hours are flexible depending on your availability.
About Volunteering Gloucestershire
340 High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 3JF, GB
Supporting with all areas of volunteer recruitment.
Volunteering Gloucestershire supports organisations, charities and community groups with volunteer recruitment, management and advice. Volunteering Gloucestershire also helps people wanting to volunteer to find roles that will suit their skills, abilities and interests.