27 people are interested
Women's Fund Committee Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: CAPITAL DISTRICT WOMENS EMPLOYMENT & RESOURCE CENTER INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
27 people are interested
As a member of the Women's Fund Committee, you would assist in support and outreach of The Women’s Fund vision and mission, including awarding of scholarships to women attending Hudson Valley Community College(HVCC) and Schenectady County Community College(SCCC). Activities include organizing the Trailblazers Luncheon fundraising event, developing other fundraising initiatives and maintaining connections with scholarship entities.
- Event Planning for the Trailblazers luncheon (held in March), including all planning activities and the day of the event.
- Working with HVCC and SCCC to ensure scholarship administration meets Women’s Fund goals.
- Assisting with Women’s Fund publicity through our website and Facebook page.
- Helping with other activities, which could include "Get to Know Us" events.
- Interest in performing a wide variety of tasks such as: event planning, sponsor recruitment/solicitation, fund raising, graphic design, photography, videography, brainstorming, marketing;
- Understanding of and deep passion for empowering women - a key tenet to the missions of WERC and the Women’s Fund;
- Strong and effective communication skills;
- Ability to build connections - with funders/donors, schools
- Strong team work & collaboration skills - with the belief that team work and collaboration are effective ways of getting things done;
- Ability to work on/follow-through on tasks in-between committee meetings;
- Like to have fun.
- Monthly committee meetings, in person at WERC’s Troy office OR via teleconference/videoconference: Typically 1-1.5 hours in duration;
- Independent work outside of committee meetings, approximately 1-2 hours per month;
- Attend major Women’s Fund and WERC events, including Trailblazers (March), First Impressions Second Chances (June) and annual awards luncheon (October).
About CAPITAL DISTRICT WOMENS EMPLOYMENT & RESOURCE CENTER INC
175 CENTRAL AVE STE 3, ALBANY, NY 12206, US
The Capital District Women's Employment and Resource Center, Inc. (WERC) is a not-for-profit organization that works to advance women's success in the workplace by building their economic and personal independence. One of 13 Displaced Homemaker Centers in New York State, since 1988 WERC has provided quality workforce development services to more than 9,000 women, helping them to find or improve their employment through training and support. WERC helps Displaced Homemakers from Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and Saratoga counties. These women have lost their primary financial support due to the death, divorce or dislocation of their spouse or other primary support, and need help to transition back to the workplace. Of the 300 women served annually, 54% are at poverty level, 44% have an annual income of less than $10,000 and 10% have no income. Many are ineligible to receive unemployment or social security benefits.
To meet its mission, WERC offers a variety of personalized trainings to women, from individual support to multi-day trainings. A major component of WERC's services is a 12-day training at its Albany Training Center that covers the following topics: typing, Microsoft Office, strategic use of the Internet to find and research companies, resumes, and interviewing. Participants also meet employers who visit the class and share information about their current job openings. Participants meet for 12 days for six hours per day; all trainings are provided by Employment and Training Coordinator, Marjorie Adams, Intake Specialist, Lorraine Kaifer and Executive Director, Elizabeth Miller Guthier.
After each 12-day training, WERC staff works with each woman until she finds employment. Follow-up training and assistance is provided one-on-one, as well as in weekly workshop sessions that are available to all graduates. The focus is always on helping women find quality jobs based on their unique education, experience and career goals.
120 Defreest DriveTroy, NY 12180
November 7, 2023
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Donor Management
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- Monthly committee meetings, in person at WERC’s Troy office OR via teleconference/videoconference: Typically 1-1.5 hours in duration; Independent work outside of committee meetings,
- Understanding of and deep passion for empowering women. Ability to raise funds through events and directly, from small and large companies in the Capital District. Networking skills, previous business experience.