Federal Affairs Assistant Editor
Who are we?
Pasquines is a nonprofit news organization, led and run by volunteers, dedicated to ending the insularity between the United States and its territories. Focusing on political, policy, economic, design, and innovation issues, we bring local issues to national attention, and national affairs to local consideration. Our efforts are tenacious, innovative, and objective, to raise awareness by publishing the context of islands.
What is the position?
The Federal Affairs Assistant Editor will assist in editing, writing, and spreading news coverage about the US territories in the context of the federal government. They will assist our content writers, and serve as journalists for the assigned topics, helping to guide our content in order to fulfill our mission.
What are the benefits?
While this position is unpaid, due to our status as a startup nonprofit, we aim to provide a rich learning environment to our interns. We focus on providing practical, essential skills to our team, that they can use as the launching pad for their careers. In the process, you will be helping us to promote uncovered stories about the neglected US territories and life in them. You also will be able to work entirely from home, gaining valuable experience that will help you in your career.
What are the position’s duties?
In the respective area:
- Assist with news coverage, topic assignment
- Help report, research and write breaking news and long-form journalism, including features, analyses, personality profiles, Q&As, among others
- Contribute at least one (1) story every 2 weeks
- Monitor events in designated areas for development of stories
- Oversee and edit the work of assigned writers
For these topics:
- Federal government and policy issues that affect the US territories
- National general news affect by policy, and government that affect the US territories
- National history that affected the US territories
Who are we looking for?
Pasquines is looking for students and recent graduates who wish to gain experience in the field of journalism, writing and policy. All majors accepted, but previous experience in editing and writing is a must.
Where do I apply?
You must submit your application at: https://pasquines.us/join-us/
Applications on other websites will not be considered.
We prefer candidates that:
- Have knowledge of and comfort in writing about current events across beats
- Have an entrepreneurial and independent streak, and the ability to stay motivated
- Have good news judgment
- Have concise and clever headline writing skills
- Have a demonstrated ability to bring analysis and sharp angles to daily news stories
- Have at least a basic understanding of the fast speed of web journalism and the importance of careful editing
- Have some knowledge of SEO and social media
- Have a strong interest or knowledge of the US Virgin Islands
What is the compensation?
Pasquines is a non profit news organization run by volunteers, so unfortunately we are unable to offer pay at this time. We can however help you obtain college credit if so desired.
What is the deadline?
ASAP. We accept applicants on a rolling basis, and therefore there is no hard deadline.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
Sector Cuba #1099, Mayaguez, PR 00680, US
Our mission is to end the insularity between the United States and its territories, and to inspire the inclusion of these citizens in all critical considerations.
Pasquines is a nonprofit news organization that publishes stories on ignored issues from the US territories, focusing on politics, policy, economy, technology, design and innovation.