COME: Assistant Head of Community Engagement
The Assistant Head of Community Engagement (COME) supports the Head of COME in creating strategy and executing plans to grow engagement within NJ’s under-served communities, as well as grow engagement with NJ’s colleges/universities. This role also participates in ensuring successful delivery of JerseySTEMs Outreach Programs (delivered to middle school girls (grades 5-8) working closely with the Head of Marketing, Head of Corporate Engagement and Head of Outreach Programs.
- Work with Community and College Engagement team who build and manage relationships with middle schools and other venues in underserved communities (the host locations for Outreach Programs), and Colleges/Universities from which we recruit students to coach Outreach Programs
- Oversee the development of a network of connections (i.e college administration, faculty, student groups) at target universities focused on college student volunteerism
- With the support of JerseySTEM HR team and Corporate Engagement team, create/coordinate meaningful development opportunities for college student volunteers (i.e. career mentoring).
- Support Head of COME in providing guidance and coaching to your team members on using JerseySTEM’s GapAnalyzer priority list for community engagement
- Work to continuously improve and streamline JerseySTEM’s approach to community engagement as well as implementation of Outreach Programs
- Ensure that the Community Outreach database (our platform is salesforce) is up-to-date and maintained
- Ensure coordination of branding/marketing to the community as well as increasing awareness of what JerseySTEM offers and how college students can volunteer
- Collaborate with the Head of Outreach Programs during the engagement process to ensure successful coordination and implementation of each semester’s Outreach Programs.
- As needed, participate in the leadership team activities of budgeting/planning and reporting
- As needed, participate in Steering Committees, Board Meetings and Board Committees as appropriate
- Step-in candidate for Head of COME
Essential Qualifications and skills
- Genuine concern about/interest in solving the STEM education gender and opportunity gap
- Resourceful, can-do attitude
- Networking experience preferred
- Sales experience preferred
- Experience leading a function (i.e. department manager, etc)
- Comfort working in a 'virtual organization’ with digital tools (G-Suite, Slack, Jira, salesforce)
- Local to NJ (Car and license required for periodic travel to Sites)
- Would be a plus if candidate has flexible schedule to allow for in-person meetings during the day 1-2 times a month for a few months each semester
JerseySTEM utilizes G-Suite (Gmail, Sheets...), JIRA and Slack
36 Chatham Road, Summit, NJ 07901, US
Our Mission JerseySTEM is a grassroots 501(c) nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing Science, Technology, Engineering and Math ("STEM") education to pre-teen and teenage girls and underserved children in New Jersey. We partner with socially responsible companies and their employees, youth organizations in underserved communities, and civic-minded college students and universities. Together we develop and deliver innovative, hands-on afterschool projects and inquiry-based learning opportunities that develop teamwork, 21st century problem solving skills, and self esteem. Our Goals Reduce the gender gap in STEM participation by serving 25,000 girls by 2025 Bridge the innovation gap in STEM education by introducing novel formats for teaching Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Address the opportunity gap by expanding access to STEM programs in underserved communities
Incorporated in 2013, JerseySTEM started bringing afterschool enrichment programs to middle school girls in 2015.
We have since provided 1,000 students with exposure to afterschool enrichment programs delivering more than 20,000 hours of instruction. Students learn to code, build robots, solve problems and through that process gain self-esteem and confidence that they can be the leaders of tomorrow.