12 people are interested
Employer Outreach Committee Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: CAPITAL DISTRICT WOMENS EMPLOYMENT & RESOURCE CENTER INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
12 people are interested
Share WERC’s mission with employers and relevant community associations to encourage collaboration and partnership opportunities that will result in placement of WERC graduates, implementation of mentoring programs, and increase in financial support from employers.
- Work with committee members to develop, schedule and implement employer group presentations throughout the year (3 per year).
- Keep current the "Getting to Know Work" presentation that can be used by this committee to accomplish its goals.
- Build the list of potential employers and community donors to include those companies that are not yet aware of our services/mission.
- Work with the Executive Director and Training Staff to continually identify new employers and further develop partnerships with current employers.
- Knowledge of employer base in the Capital District as it applies to hiring of staff and contribution programs;
- Ability to reach out to employers via meetings or phone calls to make them aware of WERC’s programs and employment opportunities.
- An understanding of and deep passion for the mission of WERC;
- A strong and effective communicator, with the ability to speak before groups;
- A belief that team work and collaboration are effective ways of getting things done;
- A creative thinker;
- Is flexible;
- Doesn’t mind doing some work in-between committee meetings; and (most importantly)
- Likes to have fun
- Monthly committee meetings (typically held via conference call, one hour in duration)
- Independent work including speaking with employers on an individual basis (approximately 2-5 hours per month
- Attend major CDWERC events including First Impression and Awards Luncheon
5 More opportunities with CAPITAL DISTRICT WOMENS EMPLOYMENT & RESOURCE CENTER INC
About CAPITAL DISTRICT WOMENS EMPLOYMENT & RESOURCE CENTER INC
175 CENTRAL AVE STE 3, ALBANY, NY 12206, US
The Capital District Women's Employment and Resource Center, Inc. (WERC) is a not-for-profit organization that works to advance women's success in the workplace by building their economic and personal independence. One of 13 Displaced Homemaker Centers in New York State, since 1988 WERC has provided quality workforce development services to more than 9,000 women, helping them to find or improve their employment through training and support. WERC helps Displaced Homemakers from Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and Saratoga counties. These women have lost their primary financial support due to the death, divorce or dislocation of their spouse or other primary support, and need help to transition back to the workplace. Of the 300 women served annually, 54% are at poverty level, 44% have an annual income of less than $10,000 and 10% have no income. Many are ineligible to receive unemployment or social security benefits.
To meet its mission, WERC offers a variety of personalized trainings to women, from individual support to multi-day trainings. A major component of WERC's services is a 12-day training at its Albany Training Center that covers the following topics: typing, Microsoft Office, strategic use of the Internet to find and research companies, resumes, and interviewing. Participants also meet employers who visit the class and share information about their current job openings. Participants meet for 12 days for six hours per day; all trainings are provided by Employment and Training Coordinator, Marjorie Adams, Intake Specialist, Lorraine Kaifer and Executive Director, Elizabeth Miller Guthier.
After each 12-day training, WERC staff works with each woman until she finds employment. Follow-up training and assistance is provided one-on-one, as well as in weekly workshop sessions that are available to all graduates. The focus is always on helping women find quality jobs based on their unique education, experience and career goals.
120 Defreest DriveTroy, NY 12180
March 9, 2023
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Human Resources Strategy
- Strategic Planning
- Business Development
- Market Research / Analysis
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- The Employer Outreach Committee meets bi-monthly, either in person or virtual. Contacts to employers in the Capital District may take 1-2 hours per month.
- If you are someone working currently in HR, Staffing or other positions that would involve knowing and meeting Capital Region employers this would be the perfect volunteer opportunity for you.