20 people are interested
Fresh Approach: East Palo Alto Farmers' Market Volunteer
20 people are interested
Want to learn more about local food systems and matching programs, and get the opportunity to shadow employees involved in a wide range of food systems?
The EPA Community Farmers’ Market is a crucial resource for ensuring affordable, healthy food access to the East Palo Alto community while supporting local family farms. Every week the East Palo Alto Community Farmers’ Market creates opportunities for stronger relationships between the people of our community, the farmers who produce our food, and community-serving organizations.
Tasks may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist coordinator with setting up for the market (Set-up canopy, tables, chairs etc.)
- Greet customers. Create a warm and welcoming environment for all customers. Volunteers will navigate shoppers to entrance and exit points to ensure CDC guidelines.
- Assist with crowd control at the farmers’ market.
- Monitor wash station(s) at the entrance and exit points
- Assist at the information booth with market match transactions. Market Manager and coordinator will train you on protocol
- Support the packing of produce boxes for community members
- Assist with counting customers (Every hour for 15 minutes). Volunteers will use a hand tally counter.
- Support outreach efforts toward current and potential recipients of public benefits including WIC, CalFresh (SNAP or food stamps), SSI, SSDI, Medi-Cal, and the Senior Food Program
- At the end of the market, assist Market Manager and coordinator with clean up and transporting materials to the shed located on the premises.
When: Wednesdays, 8:00AM - 1:30PM
Where: 2555 Pulgas Ave, East Palo Alto, CA 94303
The East Palo Alto Community Farmers’ Market is a program of Fresh Approach , a non-profit, whose mission is to create long-term change in local food systems by connecting California communities with healthy food from California farmers and expanding knowledge about food and nutrition. Fresh Approach envisions healthy communities where all people have access to fresh, healthy food from California farmers. Learn more here: http://www.freshapproach.org/
About Fresh Approach
5056 COMMERCIAL CIR STE C, CONCORD, CA 94520, US
Our mission is to create long-term change in local food systems, by connecting California communities with healthy food from California farmers and expanding knowledge about food and nutrition.
Our programs empower families to make sustainable lifestyle changes by expanding their nutrition, cooking, and gardening skills, and by boosting their access to local, affordable produce.
Local farms benefit, too, as our programs make it possible for small farms to sell in communities that would otherwise lack access to their products, while helping farmers diversify their sales through guaranteed weekly orders.
This grassroots community empowerment has a ripple effect that supports small family farms, promotes sustainability and responsible stewardship in agriculture, breaks down systemic barriers, and strengthens the local economy - all while growing community interest in healthy eating.
We believe that everyone should have equal access to healthy food, and that the health of our communities and the livelihood of our local farmers should go hand-in-hand.
2555 Pulgas AveEast Palo Alto, CA 94303
September 17, 2021
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training