The American Red Cross in Northern Nevada needs government operations service associates to assist coordination between the Red Cross and government partners. For about five hours per month, you can help us provide disaster relief services to your community and gain (or use) valuable skills in coordination, public relations, emergency operations, and government planning.
The Government Operations Service Associate acts as the direct daily (if appropriate) contact with government partners, generally in an Emergency Operations Center or other coordination center, during a disaster relief operation. GOs are responsible for ensuring Red Cross actions are aligned with, supportive of, and complementary to government. They effectively represent the Red Cross to external partners, manage internal and external expectations, establish and monitor situational awareness, and seek, collect, evaluate and communicate critical information. Government operations service associates, especially in an emergency operations center, have the overarching responsibility of building trust and fostering collaboration between the Red Cross and government partners.
* Maintain consistent contact with government and Red Cross operation.
* Represent Red Cross appropriately in assigned EOC.
* Gather and share essential information from government to Red Cross operation and from Red Cross operation to government within reporting timeline.
* Maintain situational awareness of the disaster as well as government operations reported in EOC and Red Cross operations reports through DRO and provide periodic situational updates to each.
* Respond to and support development of requests for information or resources as soon as possible and maintain follow up.
* Serve as the mass care/ESF 6 subject matter expert and lead and/or contribute to planning and reporting.
* Assist in developing holistic and seamless disaster cycle plans (i.e. mass care) in partnership and in-sync with government.
* Understand Red Cross long-term recovery service delivery plan and communicate to key government and NGO partners.
* Customer Focus: Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
* Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
* Values Differences: Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
* Good organizational skills, responsible, and punctual.
* Demonstrates active listening skills.
* Demonstrates evidence of previous work or volunteer experience in a collaboration role.
* Ability to submit accurate, concise, and timely information and verbal or written reports to the assigned supervisor and/or others as required or requested.
* Ability to participate and contribute in regular meetings.
* Demonstrates ability to interact with officials in the community.
* Demonstrates ability to involve appropriate others in managing problems and conflict.
* Ability to acquire the electronic emergency management software utilized by the EOC to log activities, submit reports, post documents, etc.
* Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Windows platforms, especially Excel and Word.
* Ability to stand for two hour periods
* Ability to sit for two hour periods.
* Ability to walk on uneven terrain.
* Ability to speak clearly on phone and in person.
* Ability to read small print for extended periods.
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether its one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.