Assist and support local blood drives
American Red Cross - Iowa Region
This position has shifts.
Provide excellent customer service to enhance the blood donor experience, executing donor temperature screening on potential donors prior to their entry into the blood drive. This position serves as gatekeeper by providing additional screening the American Red Cross has implemented in the interest of the safety of the blood supply, recipients, other donors, staff, volunteers and general public health regarding COVID-2019 outbreaks.
* This position and Temp-taking screening station is part of additional screening the American Red Cross has implemented in the interest of the safety of the blood supply, recipients, other donors, staff, volunteers and general public health regarding COVID-2019 outbreaks.
* Greet donors and model excellent customer service behaviors. Manage donor flow at temp taking station to ensure only donors passing temp screen are permitted access.
* Explain purpose of temperature screen to donors and ensure they understand reason for deferral if applicable. Direct donor to next step of donation or options for future donations if deferred.
Blood Donor Screeners will:
* Use the following supplies
* Thermometer and probe covers, if applicable
* Trash basket
* Hand sanitizer
* Sani-cloths or Cavi-cide
* Wear gloves at all times and change them between each donor.
* Use a new probe cover on an electronic thermometer or a new disposable thermometer for each donor.
* Will not repeat temperatures for any reason. * Will insert the thermometer into the donor's mouth, hold the probe, read the temperature and discard the probe cover or the disposable thermometer.
* Check to see if the donor's temperature is acceptable.
* Advise the donor if above 99.5 degrees F to defer from donating on current day.
* Will clean the electronic thermometer, probe and probe wiring between each person with Sani-cloth or Cavi-cide.
* Must be 18 years of age or older
* Ability to display the utmost professionalism and communication skills using diplomacy and tact
* Extremely comfortable working with people from diverse communities and backgrounds
* Ability to understand technology needed for position * Comfortable taking temperatures and explaining processes
For more information, click on Set Appointment and make an appointment to get more information. If you want to apply, click on this link:
Volunteer to be a Blood donor screener
About American Red Cross - Iowa Region
2116 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50312, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether its one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.