Help those impacted by COVID-19; provide digital and employment services from your home
Goodwill of Western Missouri & Eastern Kansas
COVID-19 has threatened lives and disrupted our economy. Individuals need employment and economic support now more than ever. To help, Goodwill has established a text line to provide one-on-one support for individuals in need; this resource will provide guidance and information in the areas of accessing unemployment benefits, filing taxes in order to receive economic impact payments, setting up a bank account, performing job searches, developing digital and essential skills, and connections to other community resources.
The Virtual Service Provider responds to these questions, providing real-time support to individuals in need based on information Goodwill will share with you. Volunteers will be primarily responsible for responding to inquiries related to referrals to community resources and tech support as individuals need help with new computers and phones.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Providing timely acknowledgement to incoming inquiries
- Utilizing text or call functions on a personal phone
- Utilizing a computer to respond via an online portal or email
- Identifying a texter’s question/issue
- Providing complete and accurate information in response to the question, using guidance provided by Goodwill
- Supporting individuals in basic computer use functions (booting up, downloading applications/software, utilizing web browsers, utilizing email)
- Providing referrals to non-employment focused service providers (food, shelter, health, etc.)
- Constantly offering empathy and understanding to all texters
This opportunity operates in a volunteer’s home. It is an exclusively sedentary opportunity.
Time and Location
Volunteers will provide support from their own home. Volunteers will be asked to respond to inquiries within 5 minutes of receiving the inquiry, choosing their own hours between 9am and 5pm Monday through Friday.
A virtual or phone interview will be required prior to starting this volunteer opportunity.
Training and Orientation
Virtual training will be provided via Zoom.
- Must have constant access to a personal computer and phone
- Must have reliable internet access
- Ability to represent Goodwill in positive manner
- Good communication skills - both speaking and writing
- Comfort speaking on the phone
- Comfort communicating over text
- Understanding of basic digital literacy
- Ability to provide step by step instructions/information to respond to an inquiry
- Ability to relate to a diverse population
- Call center and/or customer service experience preferred
Information technology (basic set up, application and web browser walk-through) experience preferred
About Goodwill of Western Missouri & Eastern Kansas
800 E 18th Street, Kansas City, MO 64108, US
Goodwill empowers people to discover their potential and adapt for the future through the power of work.
Good is a renewable resource. It takes on many forms, and often comes from unexpected places. Even one small act of good can make a big difference.
For instance: an unassuming bag of stuff that has the power to change lives. When you donate to Goodwill, your stuff gets a second act in another person's life - instead of lying in a landfill. But the good doesn't stop there.
Sales of your stuff fund our employment programs and services, where local job seekers get the skills and confidence they need to find gainful employment. But the good doesn't stop there...
Employment is more than a paycheck - it's a resounding victory: for the individual, for their family, for their community. When jobs thrive, communities thrive.
We know this because we've seen and celebrated it here for more than a century. It's real sustainable change that all starts with one person. When you do a little good, you might be surprised at how far it goes.
Join us in giving your time to Goodwill of Western Missouri & Eastern Kansas. You'll be glad you did.
Good goes further.(tm)