Community Garden Manager
Houston Habitat for Humanity
Volunteer Job Title: Garden Manager
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator
Type: Volunteer Opportunity
MISSION: Seeking to put God’s love into action, Houston Habitat brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
The Garden Manager will oversee volunteer groups of 10+ and serve as primary liaison between the Settegast Community Garden and Houston Habitat for Humanity. The Garden Manager is responsible for the ongoing maintenance of existing beds and landscaping. This is a volunteer position.
The ideal candidate enjoys working with people, has an interest in supporting individuals in their ability to grow healthy, fresh food, and is open to learning about the needs of the Settegast community.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be willing to work in the Settegast Community Garden at least one day per week through December of 2020, two of the work days per month should be on a Saturday
- Recruits and organizes volunteer activities in the garden, including communicating expectations and instructions, making certain volunteers complete online registration, ensuring availability of supplies and activities
- Creates a growing season plan, requests materials and supplies, manages irrigation system, and security oversight at the garden
- Attends the monthly Settegast Planning Committee meeting and give updates to the committee about the garden
- Provides monthly status reports the Settegast Planning Committee and Houston Habitat for Humanity on the condition of the garden
- Stays informed on industry changes, and keeps current with training provided by Urban Harvest and Houston Habitat
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- 2 + year of gardening or two years volunteer experience
- Experience supervising volunteers promoting cooperation and team building
- A sense of community service and helping others
- Diplomacy and ability to work with a variety of personalities
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to tolerate outdoor weather conditions (heat, humidity, rain, and cold)
- Ability to perform essential functions of job. Reasonable accommodation is available
- Must be able to sit, stand, bend, squat, and reach for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
To apply for this volunteer opportunity please email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the position title "Garden Manager" in the subject line.No phone calls pleas
About Houston Habitat for Humanity
3750 N. McCarty, Houston, TX 77029, US
Houston Habitat for Humanity works by faith to change lives and empower families by building homes in partnership with God and people from all walks of life.
Houston Habitat for Humanity was founded in 1987 and is a Christian-based housing ministry. Embracing all faiths, the organization is dedicated to eliminating substandard housing in our community by helping low-income families purchase a simple, decent home in which to live. To date, Houston Habitat has built over 650 affordable homes and served more than 2,700 people - half of whom are children. Based on annual home production, Houston Habitat is consistently listed in the top ten among the nearly 1,700 Habitat for Humanity affiliates in the United States.