Consulting Vet for Pet Peace of Mind Program
Position/Title: Consulting Veterinarian
Supervisor: Volunteer Supervisor
Statement of Purpose:
To promote additional services to assist in supporting pet care needs for patient/family/caregiver. This is a volunteer position. All volunteers are considered non paid employees of Ascend Hospice and are required to complete compliance regulations set in place and the necessary orientation. To commit to gain familiarity with our Pet Peace of Mind program and understand our processes for the program.
SUMMARY: Role is advisory, advocacy, and networking.
Primary Tasks/Functions & Responsibilities:
- Available to advise in a reasonable amount of time with a pet care situation you need to discuss. Outreach is almost always through phone or email.
- Be well-connected in the animal welfare community to assist in opening doors to develop and promote the Pet Peace of Mind program at Ascend Hospice.
- Provide a cost range for routine surgical procedures and services in your area, a consulting veterinarian is NOT to be expected to treat pets for free or at a reduced cost.
- In an emergency, being willing to help find a day or two of no/low cost boarding.
- Provide information on after-hours veterinary care available in your community.
- Provide Volunteer Supervisors with resources for volunteers on advice for difficult pets.
- Assist with information regarding zoonotic diseases.
- Help with recruiting volunteers for the purpose of providing temporary care while pet’s owner is receiving medical care.
- Help with outreach to build awareness about the program in the animal welfare and pet care community in an effort to develop foster and other care options.
- Assist as needed during training sessions for new volunteers.
- Must be friendly, open and able to meet others on their terms
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Adhere to HIPPA guidelines
- Neat and orderly appearance
- Adherence to boundaries set forth in training
- Participation and completion of the Ascend Hospice Volunteer Training Program proof of completion of another hospice training of similar duration
- Certifications and licensures
About Ascend Hospice
10571 Telegraph Rd. Ste 203, Glen Allen, VA 23059, US
Mission: The Ascend family of brands is dedicated to providing innovative, quality care and wellness to our communities to help people live better lives. Vision: To be recognized as a trustworthy leader in health and wellness programs, products, and services; to exceed the expectations of those who rely on us for quality healthcare and wellness options; and to approach the rapidly changing healthcare industry with integrity, passion, and purpose. Values: PEOPLE PRIDE PASSION PURPOSE
Ascend Hospice is a for-profit hospice company with a growing presence in the greater Richmond area of central Virginia. We are dedicated to providing compassionate care and services to terminally ill clients and their families in their homes and residence facilities. We seek to care for the whole person - mind, body, and spirit. To that end, we provide support services (social work, chaplaincy, etc.) and alternative therapies (aroma, pet, massage, etc.), in addition to quality medical care. We believe that comfort and compassion should be available to those who have moved beyond curative medicine. Our goal is to preserve dignity and emphasize the importance of quality of life as we seek to help create a meaningful final chapter in the lives of our clients and their families.