Job Title: Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial
Job Description: Come be part of history at the newest Memorial at the National Mall and Memorial Parks. Serves at the newly constructed Eisenhower Memorial (Opened in September). The new site has a visitor contact station built into the gift store. Time will be spent at the contact station as well as roving the Memorial to interact with visitors. Assists visitors by providing directions and orientation to the park and surrounding area; sharing historical, cultural, and natural resource information, and providing informal interpretation. Volunteers may also have opportunities to assist with formal interpretive programs. Other duties include maintaining brochure/map stock, monitoring visitation, and reporting safety and security concerns and emergencies.
· Volunteers will be required to attend a 2 day training within their first year of service.Fall 2020 dates will be September 12 and 13.
· Volunteers will attend onsite training at the memorial prior to its opening on September 17th.
· Volunteers will have the opportunity to attend classroom education sessions lead by NPS staff around the history of Dwight D. Eisenhower.
· excellent communication skills
· desire to assist visitors and provide excellent customer service
· enthusiasm, friendliness, and a positive attitude
· knowledge (which can be acquired) of Dwight D. Eisenhower and the Memorial
· willingness to learn new information to enhance your ability to educate visitors
· 6 months (8 hours per month, more encouraged) Preference given to volunteer who can commit to a weekly shift.
· short term--summer, etc. (able to volunteer at least 2 days per week)
Location of position:
Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial, Visitor Contact Station is located at the corner of Independence Ave. and 6th Street SW
No parking is provided to volunteers. Capital South Metro Station is adjacent to the Memorial.
· Age: 18 or older (Younger applicants with parental/guardian approval may be considered.)
· Must wear park-issued volunteer uniform and name tag
· As representatives of the NPS and National Mall & Memorial Parks, volunteers must adhere to the National Mall and Memorial Parks Volunteer Code of Conduct.
· Volunteer work may include standing for long periods of time, walking short and long distances, climbing/descending steps and inclines. You may be exposed to inclement weather conditions, including heat/humidity, cold, rain, snow, and wind.
Training for this position will be provided. In addition, guides, rangers, and supervisory personnel will be available for questions and assistance via the radio or phone.
Hours / Days of Operation
· Days of operation will be based on the number of available volunteers.
o Sunday through Saturday
§ Shifts; 9am to 1pm, 1pm to 5pm, 5pm to 8pm
Please go through: https://nationalmall.org/become-a-volunteer