SummerART Camp Counselor
2 people are interested
Thank you for your interest in a Counselor-in-Training position at the Montclair Art Museum 2020 SummerART camps. There are four 2-week-long camp sessions during the months of June, July, and August. Camps run Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m., and our students range in age from 5 to 15. At the end of each two-week camp, we have a closing reception on Friday from 4:30-5:30 p.m. where all of the students’ art is exhibited for family and friends to enjoy.
2020 SummerART camp dates:
- Session I: June 29 - July 10 (no camp on July 3)
- Session II: July 13 - 24
- Session III: July 27 - August 7
- Session IV: August 10 - 21
Counselors-in-Training may work either full-time or part-time:
- Full-time: 9:00 a.m.-5:15 p.m. daily
- Mornings: 8:15 a.m.-2:15 p.m.
- Afternoons: 11:15 a.m.-5:15 p.m.
Counselors-in-Training duties include but are not limited to:
- Providing individual attention to students during class time
- Setting up and cleaning up studios
- Assisting Lead Counselors with check in table duties for checking students in and out of the building
- Monitoring or accompanying students who need to leave the classroom
- Monitoring lunch hour and organizing outdoor recess activities
- Helping injured or sick students by administering minor first aid
- Keeping students safe, happy, and focused
- Special assignments as assigned by instructors and other SummerART leadership
Serving as a Montclair Art Museum Counselor-in-Training is also an educational experience. SummerART Counselors-in-Training should anticipate the following learning objectives:
- Gain understanding of inner workings of art museum classes by working directly with professional artists, instructors, and administrators
- Enhance leadership skills by assisting students and serving as a role model
- Gain experience working with children and enhance teaching ability through lesson reinforcement to children
- Represent the Montclair Art Museum in a professional manner and appearance
Counselors-in-Training must abide by the policies and standards of the SummerART Counselor Manual.
SummerART Counselors-in-Training must be at least 15 years of age and have prior experience in education, art, and/or child care. This is an unpaid position, but Counselors-in-Training can expect to be given priority for Lead Counselor positions in future summers, based on successful completion of their Counselor-in-Training commitments this season.
Counselors-in-Training applications are accepted on a rolling basis; however, it is appreciated if all applications are submitted by or before May 15, 2020. Once the completed application is received, applicants will be contacted for an interview. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please complete and submit the Counselor-In-Training Application on our website: https://www.montclairartmuseum.org/summerart
About MONTCLAIR ART MUSEUM
3 S MOUNTAIN AVE, MONTCLAIR, NJ 07042, US
The Montclair Art Museum, together with its Vance Wall Art Education Center, engages our diverse community through distinctive exhibitions, educational programs, and collections of American and Native American art. Our mission is to inspire and engage people of all ages in their experience with art, including the rich inter-cultural and global connections throughout American history, and the continuing relevance of art to contemporary life.
After 100 years of service, MAM is recognized as the leading American art museum and community art school in Northern New Jersey. As an organization, we value: artistic inspiration, diversity of voices, individual and group creativity, and the importance of all arts to a civil, inclusive, and forward-thinking society.
We respect and welcome individual differences and strive to maintain an environment that fosters productivity, creativity, and individual satisfaction by celebrating the diversity of race, gender, nationality, age, religion, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.
The Montclair Art Museum Volunteer Program is open to anyone 13 years of age and older who is passionate about serving our community!
Please note, the Montclair Art Museum does not accept volunteers for court-ordered community service or any other community service requirement that is a result of a disciplinary infraction.
3 South Mountain RdMontclair, NJ 07042
- Teaching / Instruction
- Child Care
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training