11 people are interested
COME:Community Engagement Manager
Please visit the new page to apply.
11 people are interested
Visit https://volunteers-jerseystem.icims.com/jobs/ to Apply!!
The primary responsibility of this position is to manage the relationship with the sites currently in operation and to scout for/ recruit additional sites in the surrounding community.
Community Engagement Managers are in charge of building and managing relationships, and networking with key stakeholders in the communities they cover that serve middle school age youth and girls in particular (Schools, Libraries, Community Centers, Girls Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs, YMCAs)- all potential hosts of JerseySTEM sponsored programs. This job requires some in-person stakeholder meetings. During these meetings the Community Engagement Manager will represent JerseySTEM, detail our offerings of potential programs that the site can host. Once an agreement is reached, the Community Engagement Manager will coordinate with Finance, Curriculum, College Engagement and Marketing to make sure programs run smoothly. Programs start in September or in January.
JerseySTEM partners with Community institutions that caters to middle school students( (Schools, Libraries, Community Centers, Girls Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs, YMCAs) in New Jersey to secure a physical location and the participation of partners willing to host/organize JerseySTEM sponsored programs.
Open to U.S. based volunteers only.
About the Department
In this partnership, JerseySTEM provides:
- funding in the form of Grants
- scouting, training, and support of the coaches assigned to the location
- marketing support to recruit middle school students
The host site (Partner) provides:
- a safe location with basic services (tables, electricity, Wifi)
- a legal construct for the coaches to volunteer
- outreach to enroll the students
- oversight of the local operation (safety/security of the kids,...)
The relationships with communities are extremely important because the aim of JerseySTEM is to help build local capacity for those communities to run the programs autonomously in the long run (year 3,4,...)
There are 300+ communities, 400+ middle schools, 250+ libraries in northern New Jersey with about 50% of them in underserved communities. They represent our target audience and directly impact our ability to get 25,000 middle schoolers taught by 2025.
Essential Duties of the position:
- Communicate (phone, email, in-person) regularly with the sites under the portfolio
- Detail the JerseySTEM offering for new sites and the mode of operation
- With the site, establish a budget of the operation to issue grants to the site
- Obtain the Memorandum of Understanding for the partnership
- Assist in the launch of the program by coordinating with Finance, Curriculum, College engagement, and Marketing
- Assist the site in recruiting
- Use Salesforce.com to update the contact lists associated with the sites under portfolio
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- Genuine concern about/interest in solving the gender gap and opportunity gap in education in general and STEM education in particular
- Resourceful, Can-do attitude
- attention to detail
- Sales experience preferred
- Local to NJ, preferably member of the community the position will serve
- The ideal candidate would have a flexible/ at-home work schedule or be retired so that you can meet with people in person during the day (1-2 times a month)
JerseySTEM utilizes G-Suite (Gmail, Sheets...), JIRA and Slack
Since most roles in the organization are virtual, it requires access to a personal computer and WiFi
A week in a life:(average for 3 hours/week)
- Daily: check email/Salesforce to see if any urgent matter needs immediate attention (15mn)
- Once a week: have a call/meeting with the host sites (30mn)
- Once a week: Participate in the departmental review of Pipeline (30mn)
- Once a month: Visit the site in person during class (1 hour)
- Once a month: Departmental review with Community Engagement Oversight Committee (1,5 hour)
Virtual Locations, Florham Park, NJ 07901, US
At this time, we are only able to enlist the help of volunteers with an address in the United States or Canada. If you are not located in the United States or Canada, pls do not apply to JerseySTEM and and good luck applying to the many great charities who are equipped to manage non US/Canada based volunteers. Good Luck. JerseySTEM is a grassroots 501(c) nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math ("STEM") education to girls grade 5-8 from underserved communities in New Jersey. We partner with socially responsible companies and their employees, youth organizations in underserved communities, and civic-minded college students and universities. Together we develop and deliver innovative, hands-on, and online afterschool projects and inquiry-based learning opportunities that develop teamwork, 21st-century problem-solving skills, and self-esteem.
Incorporated in 2013, JerseySTEM started bringing afterschool enrichment programs to middle school girls in 2015.
We have since provided 1,000 students with exposure to afterschool enrichment programs delivering more than 20,000 hours of instruction. Students learn to code, build robots, solve problems and through that process gain self-esteem and confidence that they can be the leaders of tomorrow.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
November 11, 2023
- Community Outreach
- Project Management
- Relationship Building
- Math / Science Instruction
- Youth Services
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- 3 hours/week, 6-9 months