COME:Community Engagement Manager, Linden
3 people are interested
The primary responsibility of this position is to manage the relationship with the sites currently in operation and to scout for/ recruit additional sites in the surrounding community.
Community Engagement Managers are in charge of building and managing relationships, and networking with key stakeholders in the communities they cover that serve middle school age youth and girls in particular (Schools, Librairies, Community Centers, Girls Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs, YMCAs)- all potential hosts of JerseySTEM sponsored programs. This job requires some in-person stakeholder meetings. During these meetings the Community Engagement Manager will represent JerseySTEM, detail our offerings of potential programs that the site can host. Once an agreement is reached, the Community Engagement Manager will coordinate with Finance, Curriculum, College Engagement and Marketing to make sure programs run smoothly. Programs start in September or in January.
JerseySTEM partners with Community institutions that caters to middle school students( (Schools, Librairies, Community Centers, Girls Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs, YMCAs) in New Jersey to get secure a physical location and the participation of partners willing to host/organize JerseySTEM sponsored programs.
About the Department
In this partnership, JerseySTEM provides:
- funding in the form of Grants
- scouting, training and support of the coaches assigned to the location
- marketing support to recruit the middle school students
The host site (Partner) provides:
- a safe location with basic services (tables, electricity, Wifi)
- a legal construct for the coaches to volunteer
- outreach to the students
- oversight of the local operation (safety/security of the kids,...)
The relationships with communities is extremely important because the aim of JerseySTEM is to help build local capacity for those communities to run the programs autonomously in the long run (year 3,4,...)
There are 300+ communities, 400+ middle schools, 250+ libraries in northern New Jersey with about 50% of them in underserved communities. They represent our target audience and directly impact our ability to get 25,000 middle schoolers taught by 2025.
Essential Duties of the position:
- Communicate (phone, email, in person) regularly with the sites under the portfolio
- Detail the JerseySTEM offering for new sites and the mode of operation
- With the site, establish a budget of the operation to issue grants to the site
- Obtain the Memorandum of Understanding for the partnership
- Assist in the launch of the program by coordinating with Finance, Curriculum, College engagement and Marketing
- Assist the site in recruiting
- Use Salesforce.com to update the contact lists associated with the sites under portfolio
- Genuine concern about/interest in solving the gender gap and opportunity gap in education in general and STEM education in particular
- Resourceful, Can-do attitude
- attention to detail
- Sales experience preferred
- Local to NJ, preferably member of the community the position will serve
- Ideal candidate would have a flexible/ at-home work schedule or be retired so that you can meet with people in person during the day (1-2 times a month)
JerseySTEM utilizes G-Suite (Gmail, Sheets...), JIRA and Slack
Since most roles in the organization are virtual, it requires access to a personal computer and WiFi
A week in a life:(average for 3 hours/week)
- Daily: check email/Salesforce to see if any urgent matter needs immediate attention (15mn x 5)
- Once a week: have a call with the host sites (30mn)
- Once a week: Participate in departmental review of Pipeline (30hour)
- Once a month: Visit the site in person during class (1 hour)
- Once A Month: Departmental review with Community Engagement Oversight Committee (1,5 hour)
36 Chatham Road, Summit, NJ 07901, US
Our Mission JerseySTEM is a grassroots 501(c) nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing Science, Technology, Engineering and Math ("STEM") education to pre-teen and teenage girls and underserved children in New Jersey. We partner with socially responsible companies and their employees, youth organizations in underserved communities, and civic-minded college students and universities. Together we develop and deliver innovative, hands-on afterschool projects and inquiry-based learning opportunities that develop teamwork, 21st century problem solving skills, and self esteem. Our Goals Reduce the gender gap in STEM participation by serving 25,000 girls by 2025 Bridge the innovation gap in STEM education by introducing novel formats for teaching Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Address the opportunity gap by expanding access to STEM programs in underserved communities
Incorporated in 2013, JerseySTEM started bringing afterschool enrichment programs to middle school girls in 2015.
We have since provided 1,000 students with exposure to afterschool enrichment programs delivering more than 20,000 hours of instruction. Students learn to code, build robots, solve problems and through that process gain self-esteem and confidence that they can be the leaders of tomorrow.
We'll work with your schedule.
to be sharedLinden, NJ 07036
April 7, 2020
- Public Relations
- Sales Process
- Community Outreach
- Project Management
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- 3 hours / week, 6-9 months