Voices of Note: Board and Committee Members
Voices of Note is undergoing a deliberate, 2-year strategic capacity-building process. In order to accomplish this, we need additional board and committee members with expertise in diversity & inclusion, performing arts nonprofits, fund development, donor stewardship, finance, governance, legal, HR and marketing.
If you care about performing arts and the advancement of rights for women and LGBT people in the greater Atlanta area, this is the organization for you! Join a dynamic group of committed professionals working to advance our mission and realize our vision.
Board members will serve on at least one of the committees below. Don't have time to commit to being a full board member? Contact us about joining one of our standing committees:
- Governance (establish and monitor compliance to policies and procedures)
- Philanthropy (fundraising and donor stewardship)
- Community Outreach (create new opportunities for partnerships to advance mission)
- Board Development & Engagement (grow, onboard, and ensure performance of board)
- Finance (set and monitor budget and ensure fiduciary obligations)
- HR (advise Executive Director on HR policies and practices)
VOICES OF NOTE BOARD MEMBER DESCRIPTION:
FUNCTION: To oversee the fiscal, legal, and ethical responsibilities of the corporation, to preserve the nonprofit status, and to serve the corporation’s mission and vision.
MEMBERSHIP: The board will reflect a commitment to diversity and will demonstrate professional expertise necessary to ensure exceptional functioning of the organization.
TIME COMMITMENT: Approximately 4 hours per week; sometimes more, sometimes less depending on concerts or special events.EXPECTATIONS FOR MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Know and embrace the mission, purposes, goals, policies, procedures,programs, services, strengths, and needs of Voices of Note (VON).
- Act as an advocate for and be able to make the case to others in support of
- Serve in leadership positions or accept special assignments willingly and
- Follow trends in nonprofit best
- Ensure organizational policies and procedures are
- Attend scheduled board meetings (generally once a month), serve on andattend committee meetings, and attend functions of the chorus such asconcerts, fundraisers and special
- Prepare for and participate in board and committee
- Ask timely and substantive
- Support the majority decisions of the
- Maintain confidentiality of board’s executive sessions and speak for theorganization only when authorized to do so by the Board President and/orExecutive
- Suggest agenda items, in advance, for board and committee meetings toensure that significant policy-related matters are
- Offer support and expertise to the executive director and artistic
- Avoid the appearance of any conflict of interest that might compromise theboard or the organization and disclose any potential conflicts in a timely
- Maintain independence and objectivity and a sense of fairness, ethics, andpersonal integrity in all deliberations of the board in a courteous andprofessional
- Understand and accept current by-laws and membership handbook
- Read and understand financial statements and help the board fulfill its fiduciary
- Contribute a minimum of $2000 per fiscal year of which at least ½ of the amount is The other half may be acquired via support to offset budgeted expenses(donated printing, corporate matching, etc.).
- Assist the Revenue and Development Committee and staff by implementing fund-raising strategies through personal influence with others (individuals, corporations,foundations).
- Represent both the Atlanta Gay Men’s Chorus and the Atlanta Women’s Chorus fairly in all deliberations and
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Voices of Note
781 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308, US
Our Mission: To inspire dialogue and drive social equity through artistic excellence. Our Vision: A diverse community united by our music
Voices of Note is many things to many people. To its audiences, and at its core, it delivers an experience defined by musical excellence. But through this experience, it is also much, much more: It’s a catalyst for social change. It’s an opportunity to be inspired. It’s a journey into places within our hearts and minds that have yet to be explored. It’s a voyage outside of oneself and into the perspective of others: your neighbors, your teachers, your sisters, your friends.
But Voices of Note is what it is to its audiences because of what it means to its members. To the membership of each chorus, it is a community united. A community brought together by a common purpose: a passion for excellence in vocal performance, a thirst for equality of all peoples, and a belief that music is the most effective way to deliver that message.
This ideal is conveyed through the dynamic performances of the Atlanta Gay Men’s Chorus and the Atlanta Women’s Chorus, each with its own identity, but unified in a common goal. Through these two talented ensembles, indeed voices of note, together we are changing hearts and minds through music.
We'll work with your schedule.
1955 Monroe Dr NEAtlanta, GA 30324
February 13, 2020
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Legal (General)
- Financial Planning
- Community Outreach
- Donor Management
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours per week, including monthly board meeting, committee meeting, fundraising, work on strategic initiatives, and supporting concerts and special events.
- See description, but don't worry, you don't need to be able to sing! :)