32 people are interested
Literacy tutors needed for adults
ORGANIZATION: Literacy Network
Please visit the new page to apply.
32 people are interested
Come be an Essential Literacy Tutor at Literacy Network! Our Essential Literacy tutors help adults improve essential skills in reading, writing, computer literacy, and math. Volunteer tutors work 1:1 with a learner every week using a provided lesson plan. A Group Leader supports 8 tutoring pairs in a shared space each week.
- Tutors meet weekly with their learners for two hours
- No experience needed! Training and lesson plans are provided
- Your Group Leader is available every tutoring session to support you
- Be 18+ years old
- Complete training before tutoring
- Be reliable, professional, patient, and kind
- Speak, read, and write English fluently
- Be comfortable using Zoom (including whiteboard & screensharing)
- Check email daily
- Have reliable transportation (when tutoring is held in-person)
- Attend your tutoring session on time, every week, and stay for the full class session
- Commit to tutoring through the full semester, with no more than two absences
- Notify your Group Leader in advance if you will be absent
Weekly Literacy Tutoring Classes:
Both virtual and in person tutoring options are available.
- Tuesdays, 10am-12pm (virtual)
- Wednesdays,10am-12pm (in-person at Literacy Network)
- Wednesdays, 6-8pm (virtual)
- Thursdays, 6-8pm (in-person at Literacy Network)
We are looking for tutoring to start during our Summer 2022 semester. Literacy Network is hosting trainings for new tutors the week of May 23rd, 2022.
We can’t guarantee volunteers will be placed in their preferred class, but we will do our best. We will invite you to join our waitlist if there are no open spots in the class you request.
About Literacy Network
701 Dane St, Madison, WI 53713, US
Literacy Network teaches reading, writing, communication, and computer skills to Dane County adults so they can achieve financial security, well-being and deeper engagement with their families and the community.
Literacy Network assists adults in Dane County who are low-income and who need help improving their literacy skills, whether they are immigrants/refugees learning English, adults reading/writing below a 5th grade level, or folks studying to pass their GED or high school equivalency exam. We offer free group classes and trained volunteer tutors at locations throughout the Madison area. Programs operate on a three semester schedule: spring, summer, and fall, and we recruit interns and tutors every semester.
701 Dane StMadison, WI 53713
May 16, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers commit to tutoring two hours per week during the semester, with less than two absences.