Family Room Volunteer
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond
Currently, our in-person volunteer opportunities are suspended due to COVID-19. If you would like to express interested in this opportunity, we can be in touch with more information on Virtual Volunteer opportunities and get in contact with you when our in-person volunteering is re-instated.
Volunteers will manage the Family Room space by greeting and assisting families, coordinating laundry room usage, assisting with activities, restocking snacks and coffee, light housekeeping (tidying the space, putting away items left out), etc. Volunteers may run the Happy Wheels hospitality cart by handing out age-appropriate activity packs and snacks to patients and families on the inpatient pediatric floor.
- Commitment: Volunteers must be able to commit to a weekly shift of three hours.
- Shifts are 9am to 12pm, 12pm to 3pm, and 3pm to 6pm.
- Must be willing to represent Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond while serving onsite at VCU Health
- Excellent understanding of and ability to follow professional and personal boundaries
- Volunteers must be 18 years or older
- Ability to work with a diverse group of families including families going through trauma, a high stress time, and the grieving process
- Friendly, outgoing, caring, as well as non-judgmental and accepting
- Comfortable volunteering in a medically intensive pediatric service area
- Good communication skills, ability to communicate with adults and children
- Prior experience with children, personally or professionally, preferred
- Placement must be approved by staff of both VCU Health and RMHC
About Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond
2330 Monument Avenue, Richmond, VA 23220, US
The mission of Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) is to create, find and support programs that directly improve the health and well being of children.
It is the mission of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond to keep families close. RMHC Richmond may not be able to make the medicine taste better or erase the pain of a much-needed treatment, but we can help lessen the burden for thousands of families each and every year. Since we opened our doors in 1980, we have never closed them. We keep families together at our Ronald McDonald House and our Ronald McDonald Family Rooms. By providing our families with a "home-away-from-home" and a place where they can rest and refresh, we help keep families close.