140 people are interested
Wright to Read Tutor-Mentor
ORGANIZATION: Wright To Read
Please visit the new page to apply.
140 people are interested
Wright to Read is a literacy tutoring-mentoring program that works to match volunteer tutor-mentors with Alexandria City Public School students who need extra support in their literacy skills. Our goal is not only to help give this child support along their reading journey (including access to books, resources, and a larger reading community), but also a mentor through elementary school and beyond. We also offer enrichment activities to help foster the connections between students, volunteers, and families across the program. Learn more about the program and what makes us unique here: https://youtu.be/WbzLcVuxhqs
For one hour a week, you can work one-on-one with a student to help improve their literacy skills, inspire a love of reading and help develop other important attributes that are key in their future success!
- Volunteers are required to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to meet in-person with their student (your vax card will be requested for verification). Please note our students are not required to be vaccinated at this time
- In-person tutoring typically occurs at the public library. Our sessions occur after school or on the weekends, once a week for an hour.
- We ask that our volunteers work with our students for at least a year once assigned/matched (although many relationships last longer). If you think your circumstances (e.g., living in the Alexandria area, work or family responsibilities may prohibit you from continuing, etc.) may change in the next 1-2 years, contact us about other opportunities or programs that may be a better fit.
This program requires volunteers to attend an Orientation/Training (provided online) as well as undergo a background screening that may take up to 4-8 weeks to complete (applicants must utilize Fieldprint locations to be fingerprinted and an in-person notary for certain forms). Please reach out to us as soon as possible to receive an estimated timeframe on when you will be assigned to a student.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Wright To Read
418 South Washington Street, Alexandria, VA 22314, US
Giving the gift of literacy is the mission of Wright To Read, a program of the Frank & Betty Wright Foundation, administered by The Campagna Center.
Wright To Read (WTR) is a tutoring and mentoring program that places adult volunteers with children from the City of Alexandria Public Schools. Our hope is that with committed volunteers we can reach these students and give them the help they need to fully develop the reading skills necessary for a good education and a rewarding life.
418 S Washington StreetAlexandria, VA 22314
September 20, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Youth Services
- Child Development
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One hour a week for at least a year (will occur outside of school hours)
- Previous experience with elementary-aged children a plus; ability to provide own device and Internet access; comfort/familiarity with technology and/or willingness to learn