Volunteer as a Camp Counselor at Experience Camp for Grieving Children in Georgia (Boys)
A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
1 person is interested
Join Experience Camps for the Best Week Ever This Summer!
Camp Counselor Job Description
Get ready for the #BestWeekEver! Experience Camps (one-week grief camps for children) is looking for adult volunteers at our five camp locations this summer. From making 10-gallon milkshakes with lacrosse sticks to making s’mores around the campfire to listening (really listening) to kids share their grief experiences, camp is a magical place unlike any other. We’re looking for good humans to volunteer as camp counselors for one week this summer.
What’s The Role?
As a camp counselor, either staying a bunk with your campers or staying out-of-bunk, your is to support your campers 24/7 in a variety of ways:
- Instructing in some camp activity in which you have skills, such as basketball, soccer, frisbee, yoga, slacklining, cooking, etc.
- Making sure campers: brush their teeth, take showers, use appropriate language, resolve conflicts effectively, change their socks, make a new friend, create an environment of inclusion, sleep, eat, play, laugh, and have the best week of their year!
- Being fully present with campers (no cellphones!), listening when they want to talk, and giving them space when they don't.
- Click here for 2020 camp dates
Click here to read about a typical day at camp for our volunteers. Or here to get even more inspired.
Who You Are:
- Inclusive: Able to create environments where others feel safe, supported, and understood, regardless of where they come from or what their experience is.
- Build relationships quickly: Able to build relationships quickly with people from all backgrounds through open and authentic conversation.
- Professional and Real: A good role model who acts with professionalism and maturity, balanced with the ability to be silly and be fun with the kids.
- Able to give and receive feedback: Able to listen and take on both positive and constructive feedback as well as be able to give feedback.
- Always For The Kids (FTK) : You are joining us because you want to support our kids, always!
Note : While many of our volunteers have experienced a loss of their own, it is NOT a requirement to volunteer. Volunteers with varied experiences help our campers see they can safely talk to anyone.
THERE’S SO MUCH MORE BUT YOU HAVE TO COME TO EXPERIENCE IT! Are you up for the challenge? Apply today by clicking here !
Volunteers must be available for the entire week of camp, plus a one-day orientation the day before camp begins. All volunteers will go have an interview once they apply and are subject to a background check before they can attend camp. Volunteers will receive virtual training in advance of camp as well as training during the on-site orientation.
About Experience Camps
PO BOX 5099, WESTPORT, CT 06881, US
Experience Camps are one-week summer camps for boys who have lost a parent, sibling or loved one that help build confidence, encourage laughter, and navigate grief through friendship, teamwork, activities, and the common bond of loss.
Experience Camps provide a safe environment where everyone "gets it", and kids are free to have fun and connect with others in a way they didn’t think possible. Camp activities include waterskiing, swimming, tennis, basketball, challenge course, and countless other activities that will keep them busy from morning Reveille to evening Taps. Throughout the week, professional bereavement staff facilitate opportunities for the campers to share stories and remember the one who died, while exploring skills that will help them after camp.