2 people are interested
Seeking volunteers who want to change the life of girls grades 3-8
Girls on the Run is a 10 week program in the schools in Riverside County, CA. We use the power of running to educate and prepare girls for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living. The program culminates with girls positively impacting their communities through a service project and being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5K event.
Embark on a monumental journey...
An independent study led by Dr. Maureen Weiss, University of Minnesota, evaluated the impact of Girls on the Run on positive youth development. Findings show that Girls on the Run has a significant impact on the lives of girls - teaching critical life skills, increasing physical activity, building connections between peers, and more. In addition, Girls on the Run makes a stronger impact than organized sports and physical education programs in teaching life skills such as managing emotions, resolving conflict, helping others, and making intentional decisions.
You can read more and watch a video about these exciting study results on our website, www.girlsontherun.org
A GOTR Volunteer Coach works with a team of coaches twice a week after school to facilitate the Girls on the Run curriculum to program participants (girls ages 8-13) over the 10 week season.
Required Of Volunteers
- Understanding and believing in the mission of the organization and acting as a spokesperson for the program
- Serving as a role model and mentor
- Preparing, organizing, and supervising the weekly lessons (co-facilitate)
- Collaborate with other coaches for successful lesson delivery
- Interacting with the parents of the program participants; planning and coordinating the end of the season celebration
- Coordinating the community impact project
- Attending the end of season community 5K event with program participants and other coaches
- Attending mandatory in-person coach training
- At least 1 coach has to be First Aid/CPR certified. If you need to get certified, GOTR offers classes or reimbursement
- Criminal & Child Abuse Background clearance
About Girls on the Run Riverside County
3639 Riverside Plaza Dr, Riverside, CA 92506, US
We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.
Girls on the Run(r) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
Meeting twice a week in small teams, we teach life skills through dynamic, interactive lessons and running games. The curriculum is taught by certified Girls on the Run coaches and includes three parts: understanding ourselves, valuing relationships and teamwork and understanding how we connect with and shape the world at large.
Running is used to inspire and motivate girls, encourage lifelong health and fitness, and build confidence through accomplishment. Important social, psychological, and physical skills and abilities are developed and reinforced throughout the program. At each season's conclusion, the girls and their running buddies complete a 5K running event which gives them a tangible sense of achievement as well as a framework for setting and achieving life goals. The result-making the seemingly impossible, possible, and teaching girls that they can.
multiple locationsRiverside CountyRiverside, CA 92516
- Youth Services
- Child Development
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5 hours twice a week for 10 weeks