Food and Wellness Vista
THIS IS A PAID VOLUNTEER POSITION
Founded in 1987, Our House is a comprehensive program for the working homeless serving over 2,000 clients annually. Our House’s mission is to empower homeless and near-homeless families and individuals to succeed in the workforce, in school, and in life through hard work, wise decision-making, and active participation in the community. Operating on a 7-acre campus in central Little Rock, Our House provides working homeless and near-homeless individuals and families with shelter, housing, job training, education, children’s programs, and more to equip them with the skills to be successful in the workforce, the community, and their own families.
Reporting to the Facilities Manager, the Operations Support VISTA will:
- Conceptualize, design, and implement group and community-engaging projects which benefit Our House residents and the larger community
- Guide and support volunteers as they complete projects particularly in regard to grounds-maintenance and resident success
- Develop and grow a skilled volunteer base to assist with operations projects
- Identify potential sources of donations and establish relationships with local material providers
- Collect materials to be used for campus improvement projects
- Prepare documents, respond to contractors, and gather quotes for material and labor costs
- Organize materials and documents related to campus improvement projects
- Coordinate and manage the logistics of maintaining and improving campus safety
- Design and implement a facilities inventory system which allows long term tracking of facilities equipment and maintenance costs
This is a full-time national service position that provides a living allowance of $12,456 over the course of one year, plus a $6,095 Segal Education Award or $1,800 cash stipend at the end of a successful one-year term of service. Health insurance is not available, but some health coverage to help with the cost of co-pays and other medical expenses are available. Childcare assistance and relocation assistance are available to VISTAs who qualify. Life insurance and 1 year of non-competitive eligibility for federal employment are also available. Some professional development training opportunities are offered and paid for by Our House. You are responsible for your own housing and other living expenses.
All-year-round VISTAs will be thoroughly committed to Our House’s mission and to national service. The ideal candidate will embrace Our House’s Guiding Principles of Hard Work, Wise Decision-Making, Community, Initiative, Integrity, Safety, and Heart. All candidates should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Strong people skills. Able to form effective working relationships with a wide range of people.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to drive multiple simultaneous projects to completion.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to lift 35 pounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- A United States Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must commit to serving full-time (40 hours a week) for a one-year term
Send a resume and cover letter to Desiray Ward, VISTA Leader. In the subject line, include the title of the position or "Year-Round VISTAs at Our House" if applying to more than one. There are two more steps to the application process after we receive your resume.
Our House is a drug-free workplace.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $12,456.00 /year
About Our House
302 E Roosevelt Rd, Little Rock, AR 72206, US
Our House empowers homeless and near-homeless families and individuals to succeed in the workforce, in school, and in life through hard work, wise decision-making, and active participation in the community.
Our House operates an 80-bed shelter, a 39-bed family housing program (18 family rooms), an education and job training center, a licensed child development center, and a feeding program that serves over 45,000 meals per year. Our House also offers additional free services that help people transform their lives. Services include one-on-one case management, after school and summer programs, parenting classes and job search assistance. Our House programs help people become successful members of the workforce, the community, and their own families.
We'll work with your schedule.
302 E. Roosevelt RdLittle RockLittle Rock, AR 72113
- General Education
- Adult Education
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18