Help seniors lead a healthier life at the City of Carlsbad Senior Center
1 person is interested
Are you a current or retired Registered Nurse (RN) or Certified Nursing Assistant with a passion to serve seniors? If "yes", the City of Carlsbad has a volunteer opportunity for you at its senior center as a blood pressure reader.
More than half of all people over 65 have hypertension (high blood pressure). There are usually no symptoms, which is why the condition has been dubbed "the silent killer." Uncontrolled high blood pressure is a major risk factor for strokes, heart attacks, heart failure and kidney disease.
Volunteers will greet and register seniors for blood pressure screenings and take blood pressure readings. This free service is one of the most popular at the senior center, so finding someone who is dependable, punctual and can explain information clearly, has the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and has strong interpersonal skills is key.
Schedule: Weekly or bi-weekly, preferably on Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Take blood pressure measurements using digital monitors
- Explain what the measurements mean to participants
- Current or retired Registered Nurse (RN), Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or other medical professional with experience taking health screenings; blood pressure, cholesterol and body mass index.
- Dependable, punctual and can explain information clearly to seniors.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Proof of current or previous medical experience.
About City of Carlsbad
1200 Carlsbad Village Dr., Carlsbad, CA 92008, US
Our mission is to provide top-quality services to our residents in a manner that enhances the quality of life for all who live, work, and play in Carlsbad.
The City of Carlsbad is committed to creating commuity through people, parks and programs. Volunteers enhance programs throughout the city, making the community stronger for all.
We'll work with your schedule.
1200 Carlsbad Village Drive, City of Carlsbad VoluCarlsbadCarlsbad, CA 92008
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Two hours weekly or bi-weekly. A six month commitment is required.