DONATE TO THIS
10 people are interested
Tutor at St. Anthony's Tech Lab!
DONATE TO THIS
10 people are interested
DEPARTMENT: TENDERLOIN TECH LAB
Our mission is to provide residents of the Tenderloin with important technology and vocational skills that increase opportunities for employment, access to essential community resources, and connections with family and friends.INDIVIDUAL TUTOR:
Volunteers will work 1 on 1 with guests to answer technical related questions and help overcome computer-related anxiety. You must be open to answering questions dealing with the task the guest is trying to master. This will range from problems they encounter navigating the computer to writing a resume. This volunteer must be sociable in order to meet the needs of the client(s) with the understanding that this is a free service offered to the residents of the Tenderloin. The guests value relationship building with the tutors.DUTIES & TASKS:
- Provides instruction and assistance to guests in the use and understanding of technological devices.
- Attend appointments with guests during service hours.
- Provides assistance to guests in accessing and utilization of computer resources, e.g., learning modules, Internet research.
- Performs duties such as proof-reading resumes, troubleshooting questions about smartphones/laptops, and other basic computer questions.
- Cooperation with staff, guests, and volunteers.
- Protect confidentiality of the personal information shared as part of tutoring, the privacy of our guests/students, and not share such information with other parties.
- Periodic check-ins/ debriefs via phone, email, or in person with Program Coordinator if ever necessary.
- We will be providing educational materials for volunteers to read so they can learn about social justice issues. (Digital literacy, homelessness, and those living in the low-income bracket)
- Minimum age 16.
- Can translate/ speak any of these languages: Spanish, Cantonese/ Mandarin, Russian, Arabic, Vietnamese, and Tagalog.
- Emotional intelligence and awareness.
- Appropriate technical and computer knowledge (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint strongly preferred).
- Experience or ability in working with diverse and low-income populations, who may be nervous or anxious with new technology or the subject matter.
- Strong Social Media and blogging skills (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Ability to train guests in basic computer skills, including Internet and email.
- Ability to be polite, tactful, and firm with guests the program that serves, including the ability to maintain professional boundaries at all times.
Attend a shift once a week for a minimum of 6 months.
- Monday: 2PM - 4PM
- Wednesday: 2PM - 4PM
- Thursday: 2PM - 4PM
We will contact you after we review your application. This position will require a brief interview.
About St. Anthony Foundation
121 Golden Gate Ave;;, San Francisco, CA 94102, US
In the spirit of the Gospel, inspired by the joy and compassion of Francis and Clare of Assisi, in solidarity with all who hunger and thirst for justice and peace, and together with those we serve, our mission is to feed, heal, shelter, clothe, lift the spirits of those in need, and create a society in which all persons flourish. This mission is guided by five values: healing, community, personalism, justice, and gratitude.
In 1950, Fr. Alfred Boeddeker, a Franciscan friar in San Francisco, had a vision for a place where anyone could find a hot meal, a friendly face, and a helping hand. He created a place where people in need could enjoy a meal in community with others. Today, we provide Essential Services since food, clothing, shelter, safety, and hygiene are human rights, Health Care because every person should have access to quality medical care and recovery services, and Options for a Brighter Future since everyone should have access to technology, as well as the chance to learn valuable skills and find productive work that earns livable wages.
In addition to these important things that we bring to the community, here at St. Anthony’s we affirm that we are called to accompany our guests along their journey to achieve the results they desire, whether that is a single clean load of laundry, for example, or a year-long stay with us to recover from a substance use disorder.
150 Golden Gate AvenueSan FranciscoSan Francisco, CA 94102
August 24, 2021
- Teaching / Instruction
- Customer Service
- Adult Education
- Basic Computer Skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 3 month minimum. Weekly shift preferred, but not required.
- Please note that all volunteers must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof of vaccination at their first shift. https://www.stanthonysf.org/volunteer/specialized-apply-ttl/