Gardening Instructor for Summer Campers
Teach KC-area campers about gardening and eating locally! We are seeking volunteer gardening instructors to teach campers the basics of vegetable and flower gardening at camp (about an hour south of KC). Our camp garden includes two raised beds, a small pollinator garden, and four garden buckets.
Instructors may teach campers about gardening techniques, have campers help maintain the garden, and lead a planting activity. Wildwood will provide all necessary materials.
Volunteers may volunteer for a single day during the summer, for multiple days during a week-long camp session (i.e. June 9, 10, and 11), or for multiple days across several camp sessions (i.e. every Tuesday from June 9 to July 21).
Ideal for retired individuals with an interest and some experience in gardening.
About Wildwood Outdoor Education Center
1403 Southwest Blvd., Kansas City, KS 66103, US
We bring kids outside to learn and grow together, transforming summer into a season of learning, youth development, and outdoor adventure for low-income, Kansas City area youth.
Programs & Services:
- Summer residential camping experiences designed to increase summer learning opportunities and diminish the opportunity gap for low-income children.
- A diverse set of programs and activities that optimize the unique benefits of immersion in the natural world and building relationships in a camp setting to achieve measurable outcomes leading to lifelong personal and economic success.
- Year-round opportunities for group/school outdoor education and other experiences structured to promote, fund, or support the summer camp program.
Wildwood gives underserved youth transformational outdoor learning experiences through the support of community organizations, donors, and foundations. Wildwood programs are designed to deliver four key learning experiences:
- Overcoming Challenges
- Applying Science
- Building Community
- Learning Together
After more than 35 years of camping, team-building, environmental exploration and friendship-making, Wildwood Outdoor Education Center is proud of the many lives that have been changed, spirits strengthened, skills built and relationships forged on our 150 acres in Miami County, Kansas.
1403 Southwest BlvdBoulevard BreweryKansas City, KS 66103
- Environmental Education
- Public Speaking
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- The minimum time commitment is 3 hours (including a one hour orientation).
- Some experience with gardening, environmental education, and/or farming.