Become a Portfolio Development Mentor at Free Arts NYC!
1 person is interested
Teen Arts Program Portfolio Mentorship Program
Free Arts NYC empowers underserved youth through art and mentoring programs to develop their creativity, confidence, and skills to succeed.
What is the Teen Art Portfolio Mentorship Program?
As a volunteer in the Portfolio Mentorship Program, you’ll have the opportunity to mold a young artist while developing your own skills as an artist and educator. During weekly sessions, you’ll guide your mentee through the technical and artistic process of creating a visual portfolio, practice interview and audition skills, while serving as a positive role model. By the end of the program, you will both have shared and strengthened your arts backgrounds and your mentee will have applied to an arts high school or college!
Time Commitment (April- December)
● Pairs will meet twice a month for 2-3 hours to support portfolio development
● Mentors can expect to spend an additional hour each week commuting, creating lesson plans, and completing Free Arts NYC online evaluations or monthly phone calls
● Attendance to H.S. Open Houses, Interviews & Auditions, where possible
As a Portfolio Mentor You Can Expect Free Arts to Provide
● Six hours of professional development trainings in Youth Development
● Portfolio Mentorship manual (includes resources on pair bonding, goal setting, portfolio development, and interviewing / auditioning)
● Dedicated Teen Arts Program staff support, including weekly online & individual monthly check-ins
● Networking with other arts education professionals
Portfolio Mentor Responsibilities
● Utilizing Portfolio Mentorship manual and TAP Manager support, create a plan for all sessions that ensures teen’s goals are met
● Support mentee in improving their artistic skills, culminating with the creation and mounting of 20 original portfolio pieces
● Help mentee to develop interview / audition skills, as necessary
Portfolio Mentor Applicant Requirements
● BFA, MFA, or working knowledge of foundational art skills
● Portfolio development experience
● Minimum 1 year NYC residency
TAP Portfolio Mentor Application Process
1. Complete Free Arts NYC’s Online Application
2. Supplemental Application, including a resume & portfolio of 3-5 pieces
3. Interview with Free Arts Staff & References
4. Fingerprinting with GoPass
5. Attend two required trainings and a meeting with mentee:
(Youth Development Training: Wednesday, February 12th: 6:30 - 8:30 pm or Thursday, February 27th: 6:30 - 8:30 pm and Program Training: Wednesday, March 11th: 6:30 - 8:30 pm or Thursday, March 19th: 6:30 - 8:30 pm - Meet your teen on Saturday, April 4th!)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 21ST
How To Apply
Interested mentors will be required to submit an application and attend two mandatory trainings.
Complete a supplemental application here.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Free Arts NYC
1431 Broadway - 7th Floor, New York, NY 10018, US
Free Arts NYC provides under-served children and families with a unique combination of educational arts and mentoring programs that help them to foster the self-confidence and resiliency needed to realize their fullest potential.
Free Arts volunteers are community members, students, professionals, retirees, artists, educators and activists from diverse backgrounds. Our volunteers help us reach over 2,000 underserved kids each year through Saturday arts festivals and weekly arts-based mentoring groups for youth ages 6-12, and an 8-week collaborative art experience for families. Programs take place in shelters, group homes, public and charter schools and other agencies throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx. We have a variety of ways for volunteers to get involved, from single day commitments to regular, weekly mentoring opportunities.
1431 Broadway, 7th FloorNew York, NY 10018
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Meeting with your mentee twice a month for 1-3 hours per session
- Two mandatory trainings (Youth Development & Logistics Training)