OMSI Food Science Classroom Assistant
2 people are interested
position summary: The Food Science classroom assistant will work directly with the Food Science Educator to set up and facilitate activities and experiments. The class is hosted for the Oregon Home School program and is 10 weeks long. Class takes place every Tuesday, beginning January 21st and ending April 7th. The volunteer shift will be from 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM. This class covers the basics of what food is, how and why we eat, how food is grown, and how it affects our bodies. Class structure is rotation based, and students will have 3-4 activities that they will rotate through in groups. Activities include games, scientific inquiry, chemistry experiments, food making, and food tasting!
essential duties and responsibilities:
- Be available for all sessions
- Help with classroom set up, re-set, and clean up.
- Must have an up to date Oregon Food Handler’s certificate.
- We can provide study materials and cover cost of certification.
- Help students learn through question based learning.
- Assist the Food Science Educator in overall classroom maintenance.
- Ability to consistently interact positively with 9-13 year olds.
- Eager to facilitate project based learning activities
- Passionate about health education, nutrition, and cooking.
- Self-motivated with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Dependable and punctual; ability to adhere to a regular schedule preferred
- Commitment to safety and willing to uphold OMSI rules and procedures.
- Experience with Food Science demonstrations at OMSI.
- Knowledge of general health and nutrition concepts.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- Discounted tickets to all Food Science Maker Workshops at OMSI.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
- Compensation for Oregon Food Handler’s Certificate
- Valid for 5 years
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
- General Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Food Service
- Must be at least 18
- The ideal candidate will be able to assist at every class session over the 10 week run.
- A Food Handler's Card is required. OMSI can assist in compensating for this expense.