Spread the joy of Special Olympics in the Five Valleys Area. Join SOMT as a Volunteer Coordinator!
ORGANIZATION: Special Olympics Montana
Please visit the new page to apply.
Special Olympics Montana in the Five Valley Area is looking for a Volunteer Coordinator to invite others in their community to participate in the joy-inspiring experience of volunteering with Special Olympics.
The Volunteer Coordinator supports the work of the Area Management Team (AMT) and the progress of athletes by recruiting and managing volunteers for competition opportunities and special events at the local area level. The Volunteer Coordinator promotes volunteerism with SOMT and the local area through effective communication to/from volunteers and dedication to the mission of Special Olympics Montana.
- Volunteer Recruitment: With the assistance of AMT members and games planning committees, identify volunteer needs, create recruitment messages and implement recruitment tactics.
- Volunteer Screening: Guide potential Class A volunteers through the application process, conduct interview and review candidates with AMT and games planning committee prior to engagement.
- Orientation & Training: Review Volunteer Handbook with all Class A Volunteers and connect volunteers with appropriate training opportunities with SOMT staff, AMT members, online resources, and other volunteers.
- Placement & Oversight: Assign and schedule volunteers for various positions during Area competition events and local special events. Oversee volunteer registration at all Area competitions and special events.
- General Management: Establish and maintain volunteer contact lists for specific events and roles.
- Communication: Working with the Communications Coordinator, develop a network of community partners and resources through recognition and appreciation tactics. Communicate ongoing and episodic volunteer opportunities among existing volunteer base and online recruitment tools.
- Meetings: Attend monthly AMT meetings as well as all Area Games committee meetings as needed.
EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE: Prior experience with a nonprofit organization or sports organization
preferred. Ability to supervise and effectively delegate to other volunteers. The ability to communicate
openly and in a timely manner. Must complete Class A volunteer application and screening process through
Special Olympics Montana.
TRAINING PROVIDED: New coordinator orientation and position-specifc training provided by Special Olympics Montana staff. Ongoing training provided annually.
COMPENSATION: Smiles, hugs, and lifelong friendship! This is a volunteer, non-paid position. Allowable expense reimbursements are available.
BENEFITS: Be part of something great and help individuals with intellectual disabilities train for life through sports. Make friends, open hearts, change lives and be part of the Special Olympics movement.
Volunteers are the Heartbeat of Special Olympics Montana where we serve over 3,000 athletes annually. To give these individuals the opportunities they enjoy, we need your help. Every volunteer is a potential spokesperson for Special Olympics Montana. Our success is driven by the dedication of our volunteer Management Teams, Area and Local Coordinators, Coaches and thousands of event volunteers. Find out what volunteer opportunities interest you. If you would like more general volunteer information please contact Nancy Undercofler, Outreach Director, by email email@example.com or call 406-564-0522. Check out www.somt.org for further information too.
About Special Olympics Montana
710 1st Ave N, Great Falls, MT 59401, US
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community.
Special Olympics Montana is a nonprofit organization designed to provide year-round, statewide programs of physical fitness, sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities and closely related developmental disabilities.
Learn more at www.somt.org.
Five Valleys Area Special OlympicsMissoula, MT 59801
October 4, 2022
- Community Outreach
- Resource Development / Management
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- It depends on the season.
- Class A Volunteer Paperwork is required.