DONATE TO THIS
12 people are interested
Hospital Network Volunteer (VIRTUAL!!)
DONATE TO THIS
12 people are interested
***PLEASE NOTE: WHILE THIS IS A VIRTUAL OPPORTUNITY DUE TO COVID, APPLICANTS MUST LIVE IN THE CUYAHOGA COUNTY, OHIO AREA!!!**
NAMI Greater Cleveland’s Hospital Network program helps to connect patients in the hospital to a supportive community prior to their release from the hospital. The goal of the program is to increase patients’ awareness of the option they have for additional support when settling back into life at home. In addition, volunteers help to raise staffs’ awareness of NAMI and the program so they can recommend NAMI Greater Cleveland’s services to patients in need.
Minimum Requirements for Hospital Network Volunteers
- Must be an individual who is living with a mental health condition or a family member/caregiver of a person with a mental health condition
- Experience of having been or a loved one who has been in an inpatient hospital setting
- Individuals must be comfortable talking in front of various audiences and willing to share aspects of their personal experience of living with mental illness or having a family member with a mental health condition
- Comfortable presenting strategies used to maintain recovery
- Knowledge of NAMI Greater Cleveland’s programs and services
- Act courteously and respectfully toward one another and hospital participants at all times
- Actively pursue wellness
- Respect your own emotional and physical resources and limitations
- Respect cultural differences of participants
- Respect the privacy of participants and hold sensitive, private and personal information confidential
- Dress the part... Keep your attire "middle of the road", no extremes please
- Demonstrated reliability, professionalism and punctuality
- Respect and compassion for people affected by mental health conditions with desire to help others facing mental health challenges
- Passion to learn about mental health conditions, resources, and behavioral health system
- Willingness to take initiative to seek help when needed, and ability to accept and implement constructive feedback
- Never use vulgar or inappropriate language
- Never consume or be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while serving as a Hospital Network speaker.
- Ability to maintain an objective point of view
About National Alliance on Mental Illness- Greater Cleveland
2012 West 25th Street, Suite 705, Cleveland, OH 44113, US
NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Greater Cleveland is dedicated to empowering those living with mental illness and their family members to achieve a better quality of life by providing education, support, information, and referrals.
NAMI Greater Cleveland provides services to those with serious mental illnesses and their family members through a variety of support and education programs. In addition, we advocate on behalf of our members and the community on issues related to mental illness. Program highlights include:
- Support Groups: 16 groups providing mutual support averaging 2,500 visits per year;
- Helpline: providing information and referral to over 1,485 callers per year;
- Educational Courses: free classes, including NAMI’s signature Family to Family course, reaching over 75 participants per year;
- Outreach: providing information about mental illness via our Community Education Nights, Speakers Bureau and Health Fairs to more than 1,100 people per year;
- Multi-Cultural Outreach: providing specialized services to the African-American and Hispanic communities, including Spanish-language courses and materials.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 8, 2021
- Mental Health
- Patient Care
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Willingness to be available for hospital speaking engagements twice a month for 2-3 hours at a time; for the Crisis Stabilization Unit, volunteers would need to be available the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month between 11am-12pm.
- This opportunity is occurring through Zoom right now, but will resume in hospital settings once NAMI returns to the office after the pandemic.