Aviculturist Volunteer (Adults)
3 people are interested
PURPOSE: We are searching for sustained, long-term volunteers that can commit to at least 100 hours per year. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Selected applicants must complete all paperwork and attend orientation before they can begin volunteering.
DETAILS: The Aviculturist Volunteers at Phillip & Patricia Frost Museum of Science will work alongside the animal care husbandry team to assist staff with responsibilities associated with exhibits and holding systems; including feeding, maintenance of exhibits and holdings, and other routine duties related to animal care.
- Assist with daily care, maintenance and appearance of exhibits and holding areas.
- Food preparation, feeding, and general animal husbandry of native Florida birds and raptors.
- Complete behavioral observations and monitor exhibit health.
- Assist with guest interactions and educational encounters.
- Background or experience in biology, marine science, or animal science preferred.
- Previous experience with animals desired.
- Interest in working in a public animal care facility.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to work well with different personalities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Must be 18 years or older.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work activities include bending, reaching, crawling, and lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds of weight.
- This position requires working with tools and chemicals using appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Work is performed outdoors with some work done indoors.
- This position requires Level 2 background clearance as defined by Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
- Drug screening as part of the Drug Free Workplace Program.
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of 100 hours per year on a weekly or biweekly schedule.
- Availability in mornings preferred.
Please apply online: https://www.frostscience.org/volunteer/
About Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science
1101 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33132, US
Frost Science inspires and connects people of all ages and backgrounds to enjoy science and technology, and to better understand ourselves and our world.
The Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science is a leading science museum dedicated to sharing the power of science, sparking wonder and investigation, and fueling innovation for the future.
We'll work with your schedule.
1101 Biscayne BlvdMiami, FL 33132
- Animal Care / Handling
- Adult Education
- Environmental Science
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours per year.