Be a Friend to a Vet - Companionship
Be a Friend to a Vet/ Companionship Volunteer - Visit regularly with an IVH resident to provide friendship, encouragement, and support.
- Letter Writing Volunteer - Write letters as dictated by residents, assisting with composition of letters when necessary.
- Reading Volunteer - Provide a regular program of reading to residents who are unable to read independently.
- Table Game Volunteer - Play cards, board games, pool, etc. with residents one-to-one or in small groups.
- End of Life - Visit regularly with an IVH resident identified by the IVH team as needing companionship.
About Iowa Veterans Home
1301 Summit Street, Marshalltown, IA 50158, US
To provide a continuum of care to Iowa’s veterans and their spouses in an environment focusing on individualized services to enhance their quality of life.
About the Iowa Veterans Home Honored to serve...
The beautiful Iowa Veterans Home campus spans almost 150 acres, with seven main residence care buildings. The purpose of IVH is to provide professional care for veterans and or their spouses in an environment of friendliness and warmth with understanding and caring staff.
What Volunteering at IVH Means...
- Giving back to a veteran who protected our freedom
- Showing a veteran that their sacrifice for our country is not forgotten
- Taking the time to make a veteran smile
- Giving attention to a veteran's spouse to say thank you for the support she has given her husband who served
The veterans have served all of us through their military duty. They have fought battles, manned defenses and, often, made great sacrifices for us. As they and their spouses enter the personal battles of disability, illness, and old age, it is our turn to serve them.
With approximately over 900 State employees providing direct and indirect care for our residents, our team includes 103 job titles. We also have employees that may not be technically on the State of Iowa payroll system, however, they continue to do great work for our residents. Our story becomes even more interesting when we mix in all of the volunteers that work with our residents on a daily basis. Our commitment to care for our Iowa Veterans and their spouses is strong at the Iowa Veterans Home.
We'll work with your schedule.
1301 SummitMarshalltown, IA 50158
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 12
- Orientation or Training
- as much or as little as you have to give
- Must be a good listener.