Volunteering in Summer Camp with the Children’s Museum of Tacoma is a fun and helpful way to assist at a non-profit organization while gaining experience in an informal learning setting, school credit, or just to have a great time while helping the campers in discovering and celebrating their "spark" during the summer months. If you enjoy working with children and exploring art, cooking, or gets silly with science, then there is a summer camp that will ignite that spark!
- We are in need of 3/ 4 Volunteers at each camp to assist the instructor and the campers. Tasks include but not limited to assistance with set-up/clean-up, activity preparation and implementation and participation. Volunteer Spots Available is based on camper enrollment number and is subject to change
- We have 2 locations where camp is being held:
Children’s Museum Campus (Monday - Friday) 1501 Pacific Ave, Tacoma, WA 98402
Hoyt Campus (Monday - Thursday) 2708 N Union St, Tacoma, WA 98407
- Summer camps vary in theme each week.
- Volunteer Time is about a half hour before and after scheduled camp time. This varies from 8:30a-12:30p or 8:30am-2:30p depending on the week. The instructor of the week will keep you posted on any changes.
- Summer camp campers are children 3-6 years old of all abilities are encouraged to participate. We do have a toddler class for ages 2-3 year olds at the Hoyt location the week of June 5 th and July 9 th from 8:30a-11a
- Each Friday at the Downtown location, campers’ friends and family are invited to join in for a culminating celebration of the week.
- Sumer Camp at the Children’s Museum of Tacoma is a fun way to honor and nurture your child’s curiosity, creativity, and imagination! Different themes throughout the summer are designed to appeal to a child’s individual interest and ignite their spark. We design our camps as collaborative learning experiences for children ages 3-6. In addition, we offer some camps from 9:00-12:00 and others from 9:00-2:00. The longer camps are geared for children who are ready for an engaging 5-hour day. Children who attend the 9:00-2:00 camps must bring a sack lunch. With the exception of toddler classes, (2-3 year olds) campers are expected to be able to use the bathroom with no assistance from adult staff.
If you are a minimum age of entering 9th Grade and interested please review the Summer Camp Schedule https://www.playtacoma.org/summercamps , taking in account the date and the weekly theme, then fill out and return a full Volunteer Application https://www.playtacoma.org/volunteer to Jen McDonald, Volunteer Coordinator jmcdonald@PlayTacoma.org
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 8:30a-12:30p or 8:30a-2:30p for at least one week
- Download, Fill out and Return Volunteer Packet https://www.playtacoma.org/volunteer