VITA Intake Specialist 2020
1 person is interested
Interested in learning new skills and giving back to your community? The 2020 tax season is right around the corner. Join the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and volunteer as an intake specialist! Help provide free tax assistance to people with low-to-moderate income, senior citizens, persons with disabilities, those with limited English proficiency, and others who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Help individuals and families get their tax refunds, save money on tax preparation and filing fees, comply with tax filing laws, retain and build assets, and learn about financial literacy. Intake Specialists help clients feel welcome, introduce available savings products, and complete a carefully designed intake process. Additionally, this year will include the opportunity to talk to clients about the importance of completing the census and registering to vote.
- Work closely with staff and volunteers to facilitate the workflow of site, specifically the Site Coordinator and administrative assistants (answering phones, scheduling appointments, etc)
- Welcome clients in a warm and proactive manner
- Assist clients with intake forms and assess their asset building needs and goals
- Share information on savings products and services; help clients identify which product(s) might best fit their goals
- Refer clients, as needed, to free financial coaching services and products such as savings and budgeting, debt management and credit building
- Aid with administrative responsibilities, including data collection to document outcomes
- Encourage clients to save a portion of their refund as a savings bond or in a savings account or safe and secure prepaid debit card
- Maintain confidentiality of taxpayer information
- Ensure no compensation of any kind is accepted for volunteer services provided
- Pass the Standard of Conduct and Intake/Interview & Quality Review certifications through Link and Learn
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and comfort with a wide range of people
- Read all communications and updates on tax requirements or procedural changes
- Respect client privacy
- Maintain accurate records of assistance provided
- Give 24-hour cancellation notice when unable to volunteer at your site
- Ability to work as a volunteer one shift per week (4 hours), totaling at least 30 hours from late January to mid-April 2020
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and comfort with a wide range of people. Ease talking to people about their financial situation and supporting their financial decision-making
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Commitment to strengthening families by increasing self-sufficiency
- Previous experience with personal finances preferred but not required
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin is a plus!
About The East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation
1825 San Pablo Ave, Oakland, CA 94612, US
EBALDC is a community development corporation that develops affordable housing and community facilities with integrated services focused on tenants and neighborhood residents, with emphasis on Asian Pacific Islander communities and the diverse low income populations of the East Bay.
East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC) is a non-profit community development organization with over 40 years of experience in building healthy, vibrant and safe neighborhoods in Oakland and East Bay. We address the specific needs of individual neighborhoods by connecting the essential elements of health and wellbeing through our Healthy Neighborhoods Approach.
EBALDC is known for developing and managing diverse, mixed-income complexes and communities, while providing vital social and financial services, to help give long-time, low-income residents the ability to stay in their neighborhoods. We know Oakland well and invest deeply in our neighborhoods. We recognize and build upon the assets unique to each community to inform and establish thoughtful partnerships that will address the social factors impacting a neighborhood’s health and wellbeing. This comprehensive perspective helps families and individuals begin a path toward healthy, stable and fulfilling lives in a holistic, sustainable way.
We'll work with your schedule.
1825 San Pablo AvenueOakland, CA 94612
- Financial Literacy
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Customer Service
- Cantonese / Mandarin
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours per week