DONATE TO THIS
8 people are interested
VITA Tax Preparer 2022
DONATE TO THIS
8 people are interested
Interested in learning new skills and giving back to your community? The 2022 tax season is right around the corner. Join the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and volunteer as a tax preparer (virtually or help with intake in-person)! Help provide free tax assistance to people with low-to-moderate income, senior citizens, persons with disabilities, those with limited English proficiency, and others who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Help individuals and families get their tax refunds, save money on tax preparation and filing fees, comply with tax filing laws, retain and build assets, and learn about financial literacy.
No experience necessary, all training is provided by EBALDC. All tax preparation can be done from home.Responsibilities:
- Conduct virtual intake interviews to fully understand taxpayer's tax situation and ensure the correct tax law is applied and all allowable credits are claimed
- Provide high-quality tax return preparation and answer tax-related questions for all taxpayers.
- Contact the site coordinator or IRS support hotline for assistance when necessary
- Provide information about other programs, such as food stamps, that taxpayers may be able to utilize (if applicable at your VITA site)
- Review completed returns for accuracy if certified to the Advanced level
- Ensure a copy of the completed tax return is provided to the taxpayer
- Encourage clients to save a portion of their refund in one of the available vehicles, for example a savings bond, a savings account, or a prepaid debit card
- maintain confidentiality of taxpayer information
- Ensure no compensation of any kind if accepted for volunteer services provided.
- Pass Basic IRS certification test. Passing score on Advanced IRS certification test-optional.
- If not a tax preparation volunteer, willingness to help on-site in downtown Oakland in certification.
- Pass the Standard of Conduct and Intake/Interview & Quality Review certifications through Link and Learn
- Only prepare returns within your certification scope (i.e. only Advanced preparers can help clients with itemized deductions)
- Read all communications and updates on tax requirements or procedural changes
- Respect client privacy
- Maintain accurate records of assistance provided
- Give 24-hour cancellation notice when unable to volunteer at your site
- Ability to volunteer at least 4 hours/week, totaling at least 30 hours from late January to mid-April 2022
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and comfort with a wide range of people
- Computer skills for entering tax information (formal training will be provided)
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Commitment to strengthening families by increasing self-sufficiency
- Basic tax knowledge a plus
About The East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation
1825 San Pablo Ave, Oakland, CA 94612, US
EBALDC is a community development corporation that develops affordable housing and community facilities with integrated services focused on tenants and neighborhood residents, with emphasis on Asian Pacific Islander communities and the diverse low-income populations of the East Bay.
East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC) is a non-profit community development organization with over 40 years of experience in building healthy, vibrant and safe neighborhoods in Oakland and East Bay. We address the specific needs of individual neighborhoods by connecting the essential elements of health and wellbeing through our Healthy Neighborhoods Approach.
EBALDC is known for developing and managing diverse, mixed-income complexes and communities, while providing vital social and financial services, to help give long-time, low-income residents the ability to stay in their neighborhoods. We know Oakland well and invest deeply in our neighborhoods. We recognize and build upon the assets unique to each community to inform and establish thoughtful partnerships that will address the social factors impacting a neighborhood’s health and wellbeing. This comprehensive perspective helps families and individuals begin a path toward healthy, stable and fulfilling lives in a holistic, sustainable way.
1825 San Pablo AveOakland, CA 94612
November 17, 2021
- Financial Literacy
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Customer Service
- Cantonese / Mandarin
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours per week