112 people are interested
Teach English to Adults - Downers Grove
ORGANIZATION: TEACH (formerly School and Tutors on Wheels)
Please visit the new page to apply.
112 people are interested
As a tutor, work one-on-one with an adult immigrant or new citizen and provide English literacy lessons along with cultural mentoring.
Tutors help students become an active member of their community in various ways:
* practice real world conversations relevant to the student's life and goals
* work with a student in their job search
* explain to a student how to rent an apartment or buy a new home
* prepare for their citizenship test
Tutors meet with their student for one hour a week during the academic school year. A Program Manager is on-site to provide guidance and support.
We are at the Downers Grove Public Library once a week:
Monday: 3:00p - 8:00p
We are at other sites and available virtually, Monday through Friday.
No experience necessary. A 12-hour free training is provided and required.
We are looking for tutors who are patient, encouraging, willing to learn, and are welcoming to people from different backgrounds. TEACH tutors are responsive to an individual’s language and cultural challenges.
If you are interested in learning more, get in touch today!
Ask us about our upcoming training!
About TEACH (formerly School and Tutors on Wheels)
TEACH, 100 South 6th Avenue, La Grange, IL 60525, US
TEACH - Tutoring English to Advance Change - is a sponsored ministry of the Congregation of St. Joseph. Through free adult individualized English instruction, we work toward systemic change in society by empowering students to build their strengths and the effective use of their voice. We work to ensure the inclusion of those who are typically excluded, underrepresented, or undervalued. TEACH exists, "That All May Be One."
TEACH - Tutoring English to Advance Change - works toward systemic change in society by empowering adults with limited English proficiency to make their voices heard through a unique integration of practical one-on-one English literacy education, and individualized cultural mentoring and community inclusion support.
As cultural mentors and coaches, TEACH tutors are responsive to each student's language and cultural challenges and circumstances as they transition to becoming active members of their communities:
* For the English language learner anxious about being unable to communicate at her child's first parent-teacher conference, the tutor explains the purpose of the conference and what to expect.
* For the English Language learner obtaining a driver’s license, the tutor explains the process, the documents needed, and what to expect at the DMV.
* For the English language learner who needs a job, the tutor helps him navigate through the job search process unique to U.S. culture, prepare resumes and applications, and practice interviewing.
* For the English language learner renting an apartment, the tutor explains conventions of renting, and reviews the lease with the student to explain any unclear language.
During the 2017-2018 academic year, 335 TEACH tutors provided 9,000 one-to-one tutoring to 635 students at 18 tutoring sites. Tutors also assisted 30 students in becoming U.S. citizens.
TEACH reaches communities in Western Cook, DuPage, and Will counties.
Downers Grove Public Library1050 Curtiss StDowners Grove, IL 60515
February 15, 2024
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Meet with student 1 hour, once a week for the academic school year. Allow 30 min to 1 hour to prepare for lesson beforehand as needed.
- Able to communicate fluently in English. Attend 12-hour training. 18 years or older.