Hospice Hounds Volunteer: Maplewood and Surrounding
1 person is interested
HOSPICE HOUNDS volunteers are a registered* therapy animal and their human teammate provide a calming, friendly presence, and are known to reduce stress and anxiety.
If you have a furry friend that brings joy everywhere you go, this is the position for you! If your pet is already registered through a pet therapy program, you can apply immediately to become an Ecumen Hospice Hounds team volunteer. While dogs are the most common animal to join our Hospice Hounds teams, we are open to all therapy pets!
Our hospice services are provided wherever one calls home, which could include a private home or care community, such as assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing facilities. We have opportunities all over the Twin Cities Metro area. **Our current highest needs for additional Hospice Hounds teams is East Metro, SW Metro and Central Metro.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
First, ask yourself:
- Are you at least 18 years old?
- Do you have a registered therapy animal*?
- Can you commit to a minimum of four hours a month for six months?
- Are you comfortable with death and the dying process, or have an openness and willingness to learn?
- Are you dependable and able to work independently?
If yes to all of the above, the following are steps to getting involved, typically taking 3-4 weeks to complete:
- Interview with a member of our volunteer services team
- Submit to background and reference checks
- Complete online training, at your own pace
- Attend final wrap-up session
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
- A flexible schedule at a location that is convenient for you
- Consistent and accessible staff support
- Ongoing guidance and education to ensure you are comfortable and effective in your role
- Ability to take a leave of absence at any time
About Ecumen Hospice
7561 9th St. N, Ste 200, St. Paul, MN 55128, US
To provide care that exceeds the expectations of those that find themselves in the later stages of life by providing a level of comfort and quality of life that makes each person feel honored and supported as their life continues to have significance.
Hospice is an incredibly personal experience. It’s about love and support, as well as making someone comfortable. At Ecumen Hospice, we believe that each person continues to have great significance, and deserves respect and honor in their final season of life. We provide care that empowers people to live each day as vibrantly and as fully as possible. We also walk alongside and support families through this journey, and during the 13-month bereavement period after their loved one dies.
Service Area: We serve patients in their residence, which may include private homes, skilled nursing, assisted living, or independent living facilities. Many of our patients live in Ecumen owned or managed communities. **We serve the entire Twin Cities metro area. Our current highest needs are Brooklyn Center, Apple Valley, Chisago City, and North Branch**
**Companion, vigil and pet therapy volunteers to provide one-on-one comfort, support and friendship to hospice patients and families in their final months, weeks and days;
**Life Review volunteers to help document our patient's lives (through video and/or photography) as a keepsake for families;
**Office and Admin volunteers to provide support to our care team out in community;
**Have another way you'd like to impact the life of a hospice patient and their loved ones? Contact us to discuss more!
We'll work with your schedule.
7541 Ninth Street NOakdale, MN 55128
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours a month for 6 months