1 person is interested
1 person is interested
The Shop is open Mondays (except Holidays), Wednesdays, and the 1st & 3rd Saturdays of the month. Times are 10am to 2pm. Volunteers are invited to help on open days:
- Accepting consignments, 10am to noon. Working with individual consignors who will bring in up to 30 items per morning. Check items for cleanliness and no damage. List items on inventory sheet (consignors set their own prices). Write and attach tags for each item and arrange on Shop floor.
- Collecting expired items. Consignors may leave items for sale for up to 60 days. After the expiration date (noted on each tag and inventory sheet), if the consignor has not removed the item it becomes Shop's property. Volunteers round up these expired items daily, they are marked down 75% and returned to the Clearance areas of the Shop.
- Assisting the Uniform manager. Uniforms are often donated after hours and at various times during regular open hours. Volunteers working with uniforms check each incoming item for cleanliness and sort items that may need to be laundered or mended. Boots and shoes need to be matched and sometimes are cleaned. Each item is priced according to a posted Price List and hung for sale in the uniform area of the Shop.
- Assisting the cashier. During busy times - normally the lunchtime for Active Duty customers looking for uniforms - the cashier line backs up and the cashier may ask for help bagging items for customers.
- Sweeping, dusting, etc. The Shop sees a lot of foot traffic every open day and there is sometimes a need for sweeping leafs, dust and small debris in the office area and on the main Shop floor.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About TREASURE SHOP
PO BOX 15351, NORFOLK, VA 23511, US
The Treasure Shop operates as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization for making donations to local charitable organizations that benefit Active Duty members, retirees, veterans and their families. It functions as a consignment shop - no clothes or shoes are accepted, except uniforms, and those are reclaimed or donated.
Chartered in 1973, the Treasure Shop operates as a consignment shop on Naval Station Norfolk. It’s a unique place to buy and sell, where customers can find it all, from furniture to fine china, luggage to linens, jewelry, tools, books and sometimes even a kitchen sink.
The Treasure Shop offers consignors an eclectic facility to sell their stuff (70%-30% share in selling price). And it offers shoppers a fun experience, full of surprises at great prices. No clothes or shoes accepted for consignment. All uniform items are reclaimed or donated, with tax receipt provided upon request.
In August of each year all proceeds from Shop sales are totaled and the Shop’s Board of Directors (day managers, uniform manager, Advisor, and bookkeeper) vote to distribute the funds among at least 20 local charitable organizations. The annual list of charitable distributions is posted at the Shop and the current list is available upon request. The Treasure Shop Bylaws are also available upon request.
1251 Bellinger BlvdBldg U-53NORFOLK, VA 23511
August 22, 2021
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers should be prepared to commit to regular participation on either Mondays, Wednesdays, or Saturdays. Times are normally 10am to 2pm on each day.
- Volunteers must have own access to Naval Station Norfolk.