Daytime Arts & Crafts at Hayward homeless shelter
DO YOU LOVE ARTS & CRAFTS?
Make a difference in the lives of homeless neighbors with creative activity!
HOURS: During the day, but hours/days are flexible!
SKILLS NEEDED:Ability to teach arts activities, patient, sense of humor
BENEFITS TO YOU:Volunteer experience -- help homeless individuals through therapeutic and creative self-expression -- meet amazing people working to changes lives -- hear inspiring stories!
Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency (BOSS) has provided shelter, housing, and life-saving support services to very poor, disabled, homeless and formerly incarcerated individuals and families in the East Bay since 1971. We have operated an emergency shelter for the homeless mentally ill in Hayward since 1988 -- the South County Homeless Project (SCHP).
SCHP provides shelter, meals, laundry, and support services to 24 individuals a night. Residents stay at SCHP for many months while looking for housing that is affordable on low and fixed incomes. We want to provide as many support services and enrichment activities as possible while they are with us -- we would love to have regular arts & crafts activities, which provide therapeutic release, creative self-expression, social bonding, and fun, helping people relieve stress and build new skills.
Your time, compassion, and support will lift spirits and help us change lives!
About Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency
1918 University Ave. #2A, Berkeley, CA 94704, US
Our Vision BOSS believes in building a community where everyone has access to affordable housing and the means to care for themselves and their families, and where there is inclusive participation in community decision-making. Our Mission BOSS's mission is to help homeless, poor, and disabled people achieve health and self-sufficiency, and to fight against the root causes of poverty and homelessness. Our Values In order to be most effective, BOSS strives every day for excellence in behavior and ethics, excellence in service delivery, excellence in systems, and excellence in leadership. Our relationships are guided by the principles of active compassion, courtesy, and dignity.
Since 1971 BOSS has provided housing and services to over 1,500 homeless people each year. We have programs for both single adults and families with children. Most BOSS participants are dealing with multiple challenges: mental illness, substance abuse, domestic violence, illiteracy, lack of job skills, social isolation, trauma, and entrenched feelings of exhaustion and hopelessness. BOSS programs focus on teaching life skills, connecting people with community resources, and creating supportive and positive environments that motivate people and build hope.
Our services address 4 areas:
- HOUSING: Shelter, transitional/special needs housing, permanent housing assistance.
- HEALTH: Physical and mental health services, medication monitoring, drug/alcohol recovery counseling, socialization, case management for the seriously mentally ill.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: Job readiness assessments, resume-building, job search assistance, job development with employers, job creation, adult education.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE: Community building, leadership development, and collaborative action campaigns on targeted policy goals.
We'll work with your schedule.
258 West A StreetHayward, CA 94541
- Visual Arts
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Hours are flexible - we can accommodate more than one volunteer per week, so whatever time you can give is deeply appreciated!
- If you can bring donated art supplies, that would be tremendously helpful! If not, we will purchase or seek donated supplies. :)