Help Enrich the Experiences of Seniors with Memory Loss
6 people are interested
Sunnyside Community Services offers a social adult day care program for adults with memory loss. We host 20-25 clients from 9 am to 2 pm in a caring environment that provides an alternative to nursing home care.
Our space for our participants with memory loss is meant to resemble a home, with a full kitchen, activity area ('living room'), eating area, and private restroom. Throughout the day we assist participants by serving meals, engaging them in artistic activities, games, singing, and light exercise.
- Starting the day: Assist in helping the seniors into the ADS room and preparing for the rest of the day (taking off their coat, taking them to their seats, etc.)
- Breakfast: Assist in serving breakfast to the seniors and clean up after they are done.
- Activities- While seniors are doing their activities, interact and help or even do at the activity as well. In addition, to activities seniors also do small exercises to get them moving. It is encouraged for volunteers to participate as well.
- Lunch- Assist in taking up, serving, and cleaning after lunch with the help of other colleagues.
- End of the day: Assist seniors to leave, such as putting on their coat and taking them downstairs to the bus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Pay attention to detail
- Show empathy
About Sunnyside Community Services
43 - 31 39th Street, Sunnyside, NY 11104, US
Sunnyside Community Services' mission is to enrich the lives of Western Queens' residents by providing caring, quality services to meet their social, health, educational, and recreational needs and thereby strengthen our multicultural community.
Sunnyside Community Services is a settlement house serving over 18,000 youth, seniors, homebound persons, new immigrants, and families each year. Our vision is to be a pioneer in the provision of integrated services that address the changing, complex needs of the community.
43 - 31 39th StreetSunnyside, NY 11104
- Music Arts
- Adult Education
- Patient Care
- Social Work
- People 55+
- Volunteers will need to commit to performing at least 40 total hours of community service. Volunteers will need to commit to being with us at least 1 day per week from 9 am to 2 pm minimum.